PAW Guide

linazasanchez
OLAP Product: Architect TM1
Version: latest
Excel Version: 2007

PAW Guide

Post by linazasanchez »

Hi everyone!

Does anybody have any kind of Guide or Manual for Planning Analytics Workspace? Basically to know what you can do or what can you show with it once you have the Views on Architect.

I have watched the videos from the IBM YouTube channel and their Web Knowledge Center, but if you have any other one please share it with me, I am new at this and it could be very helpful:)
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: PAW Guide

Post by Wim Gielis »

There is something on the internet called Google. You might want to use it.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... lcome.html
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
linazasanchez

Post by linazasanchez »

linazasanchez wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:13 pm Hi everyone!

Does anybody have any kind of Guide or Manual for Planning Analytics Workspace? Basically to know what you can do or what can you show with it once you have the Views on Architect.

I have watched the videos from the IBM YouTube channel and their Web Knowledge Center, but if you have any other one please share it with me, I am new at this and it could be very helpful:)
Was asking for a different one, I have already seen the link you posted.

Anyway, I do not think it is the right way to answer, but thank you for your help ;) ;) ;)
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

No problem. Hopefully someone wants to share their own material, or point you to a step by step guide on the internet that did not come up when you used google.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

The full set of web based resources for PA2 will be found here.

The actual manuals for PA2 (including PAW) will be found here.

I'd say "happy reading", but I'm not that sadistic.

I should point out to you though, that there is a significant functionality gap between Architect, which you refer to above, and PAW / PAX, which you are looking for a guide on.

Specifically, it's what IBM refer to as "alternative hierarchies", which are quite different in concept from what we have traditionally referred to as "multiple hierarchies" in the Architect / Perspectives clients. What "alternative hierarchies" should actually be called is open to debate. However if you want them and are using Windows you need to read through the installation manual on the second link, bash your head against a wall for an extended period, waste masses of unproductive time picking up this piece of junk and that piece of junk from around the web as per the manual (and don't even think of using anything earlier than Server 2016), and then either persist in wasting time until either you get it to work, or just say "the hell with it, I can't be bothered and I'm sick of wasting time on this so I'll stick with the classic clients" as indeed I did.[1]

And THEN, if you do waste all that time and get the thing to work... you will not be able to show ANY of the new PAW features in Architect because they are not now and never will be compatible with that client.

Oh, and if you want a proof of concept that you can just load on a single laptop as you used to be able to do?

Forget about it unless you only want to demonstrate the legacy clients.

You will find the documentation in the links that I provided above. However reading it, I would venture to suggest, will not be a pleasant nor productive experience.

In fact, in the highly unlikely event that I may some day die, I will look back on the time that I spent with PAW and PAX and consider it to be the one, single, utterly wasted period of my life that I will have regretted. In comparison, the occasional session with da boys in Poker Night 2 At The Inventory will shine as a pinnacle of productive time use.

----------------------
[1] Apparently it is much easier to deploy in a Linux environment. Which Does Not Help if you are a Windows shop, and your goal is to provide better business information rather than to learn a new operating system.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
linazasanchez

Post by linazasanchez »

Alan Kirk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:16 am

The full set of web based resources for PA2 will be found here.

The actual manuals for PA2 (including PAW) will be found here.

I'd say "happy reading", but I'm not that sadistic.

I should point out to you though, that there is a significant functionality gap between Architect, which you refer to above, and PAW / PAX, which you are looking for a guide on.

Specifically, it's what IBM refer to as "alternative hierarchies", which are quite different in concept from what we have traditionally referred to as "multiple hierarchies" in the Architect / Perspectives clients. What "alternative hierarchies" should actually be called is open to debate. However if you want them and are using Windows you need to read through the installation manual on the second link, bash your head against a wall for an extended period, waste masses of unproductive time picking up this piece of junk and that piece of junk from around the web as per the manual (and don't even think of using anything earlier than Server 2016), and then either persist in wasting time until either you get it to work, or just say "the hell with it, I can't be bothered and I'm sick of wasting time on this so I'll stick with the classic clients" as indeed I did.[1]

And THEN, if you do waste all that time and get the thing to work... you will not be able to show ANY of the new PAW features in Architect because they are not now and never will be compatible with that client.

Oh, and if you want a proof of concept that you can just load on a single laptop as you used to be able to do?

Forget about it unless you only want to demonstrate the legacy clients.

You will find the documentation in the links that I provided above. However reading it, I would venture to suggest, will not be a pleasant nor productive experience.

In fact, in the highly unlikely event that I may some day die, I will look back on the time that I spent with PAW and PAX and consider it to be the one, single, utterly wasted period of my life that I will have regretted. In comparison, the occasional session with da boys in Poker Night 2 At The Inventory will shine as a pinnacle of productive time use.

----------------------
[1] Apparently it is much easier to deploy in a Linux environment. Which Does Not Help if you are a Windows shop, and your goal is to provide better business information rather than to learn a new operating system.
First of all thank you so much for the answer and for the sense of humour.

I will try to read the manuals (someday, I hope), but the point of not being able to show ANY of the new PAW features in Architect because they are not now and never will be compatible with that client is very key.

So yes, thank you for saving me time :lol:

Have a nice day Alan!