Service Access Issues - New Box

Thurston Howell III
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Service Access Issues - New Box

Post by Thurston Howell III »

Hi All,

I recently had my Dev service moved to a new box and supposedly all permissions were copied over correctly. Trouble is, when I run processes that either use text files on the Server as a data source or try to do an output file, the TI rejects it and I get the usual (Error: Prolog procedure line (0): Unable to open data source....) .

I checked the account that the service uses and ensured it had permission to those folders. The service and the machine have both been restarted. What could I be missing?
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5

Re: Service Access Issues - New Box

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

When we upgraded to PA local we also upgraded from Windows Server 2008 to 2016. The UAC (User Account Control) is a lot more aggressive on 2016 than it was on previous versions of WIndows Server. It seems that the IT guys had been a bit over-zealous in locking things down, so even with permissions you still couldn't access files reliably.

I am not sure if the symptoms are exactly the same as your case. We could generally read from files, but writing to files was a problem. For example, if you just used notepad to create a text file in a folder, then you would be able to open it, edit it, and save it. However, if anyone other than the person who had created the file tried to edit it and save it back they got a Write Access Denied error.

Obviously this was somewhat more disastrous when it was a TI process trying to write to a file.

Getting the IT guys to fix the UAC finally cured the problem but it took a while to persuade ourselves and then the IT guys that the problem was related to the Windows Server upgrade rather than the TM1/PA upgrade, which had already caused more its share of problems. However, by re-producing the problem using notepad, in a folder well away from the PA folders, it made it clear that the problem was with Windows Server rather PA.

Regards

Paul Simon
Thurston Howell III
Version: PA 2.0.8

Re: Service Access Issues - New Box

Post by Thurston Howell III »

Thanks. It turns out IT created an alias because they thought TM1 couldn't read hyphens for some reason. In fact, the service account couldn't read the server's alias, but could read its real name.