Uploading a TM1 Application through the REST API

jandoram
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Uploading a TM1 Application through the REST API

Post by jandoram »

Hi,

Currently I have the REST API configured for CAM security mode 5 and I'm able to execute various GET, PATCH, DELETE, POST API calls just fine. I am able to query cubes, update cells, etc.

However, I've turned my sights to trying to allow the non-Admin users the ability to update Excel based reports/workbooks within Perspectives. Currently without Admin, I believe the ability in Perspectives to Upload or Update is not allowed. Users can save, make changes to reports that are uploaded in the TM1, but then need an Admin to update those changes back to see them reflected in Perspectives.

I am trying to see if there is a way to provide the user with a solution to upload or update a report/workbook that would execute a REST API call or series of calls.

They would save the report to a local location, make changes, and then use a button/webpage to update or upload the report back. Credentials and nonAdmin rights shouldn't be a problem because we could encrypt and store a generic ID which is an admin to execute the REST API commands.

I have looked through the documentation and forums, but am not returning anything related to what I'm thinking about.

I see there are ways to perform a GET on reports and objects within the Applications folder. However, it'd be nice to see if there was a way to make changes to those objects and POST, PATCH them back in some fashion without asking for an Admin to update or upload back to TM1.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Uploading a TM1 Application through the REST API

Post by tomok »

I'm pretty sure that there aren't any functions in the REST API library for publishing Excel workbooks to the Application tree. I could be wrong. However, you don't have to be an Administrator per se to publish a workbook, you just have to have Admin rights to the spot in the application tree where the report would be published. Just secure the application tree (it is set to NONE by default) and give out WRITE privileges to the specific folders.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

You shouldn't need any workarounds to achieve this, Rest API or otherwise. Application folders is the one area of TM1 where you can give non-admin groups admin access within application folders (update, create, delete entries, create or delete sub-folders, etc.) End users can manage application folders completely by themselves, all that is needed is to give then admin rights to the folder.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
jandoram
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by jandoram »

Thanks @lotsaram & @tomok !

Your solution has worked. We have allowed the users ADMIN rights on some of the applications folders through the }ApplicationSecurity folder. Both update and upload work!