Creating a View in TM1 (Planning Analytics 2.0)

Peter Picazio
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel version 2013

Creating a View in TM1 (Planning Analytics 2.0)

Post by Peter Picazio »

Is is possible for a user to create view of the cube and save it as a public view. My users can only save their views as private. The option to save them as public is greyed out. Is there some security setting that I need to adjust?

Please advise.

Thank you.
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Re: Creating a View in TM1 (Planning Analytics 2.0)

Post by qml »

Unfortunately and notoriously, a user cannot create a public view without being at least Admin for the cube in question, which is rarely a good idea.

Luckily, you can create a simple TI process based on the function PublishView to turn any private views into public ones. The users can run this process themselves from Server Explorer or an Action Button etc.
Kamil Arendt
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

I received a DM from Peter:
Peter Picazio wrote:"How difficult is it to create the TI process? What is involved?"
I'm replying here as this is a public forum and discussions should be available to everyone who wants to benefit from them.

Such a process would take a few minutes to create by anyone with any TM1 development experience. From your question I will assume that you are an end user of TM1 (Planning Analytics) and don't have a developer on hand.
The process in question in its simplest form would really only need to have a single line of code, written manually, not via the wizard, which would be the aforementioned PublishView function. That function takes 4 arguments - you can pass (some or all of) them as parameters, which you will first need to create on the Parameters tab.

If you have absolutely no Turbo Integrator experience then you might want to start by reading through the TI Guide.
Kamil Arendt
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Peter Picazio wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:27 pm Is is possible for a user to create view of the cube and save it as a public view. My users can only save their views as private. The option to save them as public is greyed out. Is there some security setting that I need to adjust?

Please advise.

Thank you.
If you don't have any TM1 development experience but want to be able to get quite a lot done without needing to write a lot of custom code yourself then you should look at the bedrock library. This includes functions for publishing views, and lots of other stuff.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.