MSidat
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Sharing a Sandbox

Post by MSidat »

Hi,

I have been getting users asking for a while now ( a few years to be honest) if they can share their sandbox with another user, and my answer has always been "computer says no, commit the data, then roll the data back if need be"

Anyway, I have done it in the background as a test by going into the folder structure, into the users folder via the LDAP Folder in the main TM1data directory and then updating the"sandbox.namemap" file and copying the relevant sandbox folder between the users.

On the face of it seems to work fine, user logs out and logs back in again the sandbox is visible, they can select the sandbox and it comes it with the data highlighted in blue. Although on our model took a little while to load as the sandbox data was not already loaded during initial server load.

Just wondered if anyone has tried this to share a users sandbox with another user in the background and if so, whether they have found any gremlins in it. It surely cannot be this easy.
Always Open to Opportunities
MSidat
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Sharing a Sandbox

Post by MSidat »

Just wanted to bump this, as the issues has arisen again.

Anyone else using a similar method to share sandboxes?
Always Open to Opportunities
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

MSidat wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:49 pm Anyone else using a similar method to share sandboxes?
I wouldn't do it because it is definitely a hack. I like to be as accomodating to my users as I can but I draw the line with hacks. If it works for you then by all means keep doing it.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
ctduffey
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1/PA
Version: PA 2.88
Excel Version: 2208

Post by ctduffey »

You can make a TI process that does this. In your process, copy the planning data to a temporary version. Next, use the function ServerSandboxMerge to copy the desired sandbox to the base sandbox. Next, copy the base sandbox to a shared version (Shared Sandbox 1). Last step, copy data from the temporary version mentioned earlier to the planning version.