Cognos Express Trial - Can someone provide me the installation?

pegarciadotcom
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Cognos Express Trial - Can someone provide me the installation?

Post by pegarciadotcom »

Hi guys,

I've already spent a few days trying to find an useful download link of the Cognos Express Trial, preferably version 10 but any version would suffice, had no luck unfortunately. My goal is to set up a small TM1 study environment to practice and test some code without relying onto my employer's Cognos infrastructure. Also, to difficult things a little bit, I don't have a valid IBM Passport Advantage account available (the company I work for does, but I don't have access to it), sadly.

Searching here in the forum I've found some useful threads (like this one, this, this and this one) but the download links were either dead or redirected to pages that no longer are related to downloading the software or required an IBM PAO account (that I don't have as said before).

So, would anybody here that have the installation of Cognos Express Windows 32 or 64 bit laying around, be kind enough to share it with me if possible? :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Cognos Express Trial - Can someone provide me the installation?

Post by tomok »

That's just not going to happen from anyone on this board. What you are asking for is illegal BTW.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
pegarciadotcom

Post by pegarciadotcom »

tomok wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 am That's just not going to happen from anyone on this board. What you are asking for is illegal BTW.
Thanks tomok for the warning, but I'm sincerely not sure how asking for an installation of a TRIAL is illegal.

Anyway, a few years ago there was a Cognos Express Trial, usable for 30 days, available to download from the IBM Website. If I remember correctly to download it you just needed to be an ordinary registered user on their website, not a client of any sorts. Very similar to how they offer a SPSS Statistics Trial nowadays.

That's the piece of software I'm looking for.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

IBM does not offer trial software for Planning Analytics, available to the general public. TM1 and Cognos Express, both no longer exist except to licensed users. The fact that those links you are talking about no longer exist should have given you a clue. Also, if you read the fine print in the trial software agreement it most likely limits you to 30 days from the date of download and it expressly grants use to the person or organization who downloaded it. I'm sorry, I wish it was like the old days when you could get trials of software easily. Sadly, IBM does not allow that for Planning Analytics unless you contact your IBM software rep for an exception.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

If you're doing this as genuine evaluation to purchase the software, I'm sure some kind of temporary access can be granted to the cloud based software. You'd need to contact IBM and work on it with a sales executive. Keep in mind they won't do anything like this unless they feel this is genuine opportunity for a sale. To Tomok's point things are very different these days,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
pegarciadotcom

Post by pegarciadotcom »

Sorry for the delay, I've been too busy these days.
tomok wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:22 am IBM does not offer trial software for Planning Analytics, available to the general public. TM1 and Cognos Express, both no longer exist except to licensed users. The fact that those links you are talking about no longer exist should have given you a clue. Also, if you read the fine print in the trial software agreement it most likely limits you to 30 days from the date of download and it expressly grants use to the person or organization who downloaded it. I'm sorry, I wish it was like the old days when you could get trials of software easily. Sadly, IBM does not allow that for Planning Analytics unless you contact your IBM software rep for an exception.
Truthfully I've never had the opportunity reading the agreement of those downloads, or perhaps I've never given much importance to it, so I can't argue that. Knowing IBM as I do, it does make a lot of sense. Under these conditions I agree that what I'm asking for is really illegal.
jim wood wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:35 pm If you're doing this as genuine evaluation to purchase the software, I'm sure some kind of temporary access can be granted to the cloud based software. You'd need to contact IBM and work on it with a sales executive. Keep in mind they won't do anything like this unless they feel this is genuine opportunity for a sale. To Tomok's point things are very different these days,

Jim.
Oh yes, if it was something on behalf of the company I work for, I'm sure IBM will be more than pleased to provide any kind of assistance. However, as I said before it is an initiative of mine, so I think they won't give a damn thing about it.

Well, I think that this pretty much wraps up this discussion. Thanks tomok and Jim for the thoughts!

Would any admin or moderator be kind enough to close this thread?
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

We don't tend to close threads. As time changes so (sometimes) do the things discussed. You never know in a few months IBM may start offering a trial. Then you'll be good to go. One thing I would mention is IBM lease cloud versions of PA. I don't the price of such things but it might worth looking in to. I've not been on top of such things (the client I'm at full time is still on 10.2.2) but I believe the leases can be cancelled pretty easily so your not committed to long term payment,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

pegarciadotcom,

While it is most probably not the answer you had hoped for, I just wanted to come back to this and say that I appreciate your positive reply.
You wouldn't have been the first who starts shouting and writing down nonsensical things, just because they didn't get what they wanted to have.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:35 pm If you're doing this as genuine evaluation to purchase the software, I'm sure some kind of temporary access can be granted to the cloud based software. You'd need to contact IBM and work on it with a sales executive. Keep in mind they won't do anything like this unless they feel this is genuine opportunity for a sale. To Tomok's point things are very different these days,
Actually... I don't know whether this is global (though I expect it is), you CAN get a free 30 day trial in Australia at least without getting the sales department involved. This is however in cloud, not on prem.: https://www.ibm.com/account/reg/au-en/s ... =urx-33269
PATrial.jpg
PATrial.jpg (126.08 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Alan,

I was able to get to here: https://www.ibm.com/account/reg/us-en/s ... =urx-33269 from within the US so Peg you may be good. See this is why we don't lock threads!!

Happy days!!

Jim.
Shop at Amazon