TM1 and Powerpoint

hadimulam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAX37
Excel Version: 2016

TM1 and Powerpoint

Post by hadimulam »

Hi All-
We use TM1 in our organization. We would like to pull data into powerpoint slides and wondering if TM1 has any tools (PAx, PAw) that allow pulling data into powerpoint or ms word. Please suggest
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1 and Powerpoint

Post by declanr »

It depends largely on what you want to do.

With workspace there is an export as PowerPoint option, so a whole book can be set up in workspace and then exported as a PowerPoint - each tab becomes a slide. Since you can also embed other webpages (non PA pages) in workspace you could theoretically create quite a nice reporting pack with those other webpages linking through to things in share point (as an example) that could hold the other stuff you want in your PowerPoint that isn’t PA based.

If you have a PowerPoint already and just want some tables embedded that are periodically refreshed with data from PA then you could go fairly low tech and just have the PowerPoint table linked to a table of data in an excel file. That excel file could get overwritten as and when required by a chore in PA.
I think word has similar embedding options.

You could link PowerPoint/word directly to PaX but for PaX to update you’d need to be able to logon and I assume you likely have consumers who aren’t users in the PA system. It’s always worth talking to an IBM partner or rep in these sorts of cases as there have been some public cases (such as I believe SAP and Diageo) where the software provider and the customer had differing views of what constitutes a consumer of data and where the licensing requirement line stops.
Declan Rodger
hadimulam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAX37
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 and Powerpoint

Post by hadimulam »

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm wondering if I embed the data from PAx into powerpoint, will it automatically update the data if any things change?