Manage Rights when a big chunk of elements are deleted

Paul-TM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Manage Rights when a big chunk of elements are deleted

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi all,
In 10.2.2, when ever I delete a chunk of elements from the "Approval hierarchy" dimension and apply manage Rights, it takes 4-5 hours to complete the process in multi threaded configuration.

Code: Select all

<deployment maxThreads="4"/>
Normal manage rights with 4 threads takes about an hour. What happens in this 4-5 hours is a mystery. Can someone please explain the long process? What is different?

In PA 2.0.6, I deleted some elements and started manage rights and it's running since 3 days. I see the same processes running and it's not hung. Can any one suggest what could be done?
"}tp_get_top_node"
}tp_util_is_in_subset"
"}tp_get_parent_in_subset"

Thanks,
Paul.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Manage Rights when a big chunk of elements are deleted

Post by Elessar »

Hi,

How long does it take to do a SecurityRefresh on your server?
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Paul-TM1

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi Elessar,
Thanks for the reply.
It takes about an hour for SecurityRefresh normally. On PA 2.0.4 and 2.0.6, it takes about 1.5 hours. Since it was taking longer, I asked IBM and they gave us an interim fix and that does not complete securityRefresh. It stops before completing with an error as below.

[Default Executor-thread-22303] ERROR (getApplicationSecurity) com.ibm.cognos.pmpsvc.PMPService - getApplicationSecurity connection lost exception raised.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Paul-TM1 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm It takes about an hour for SecurityRefresh normally. On PA 2.0.4 and 2.0.6, it takes about 1.5 hours.
Oh my!
I have worked on some pretty huge models (and talking security not just data; thousands of users, thousands of groups) but I have never seen SecurityRefresh take longer than about 5 - 10 minutes. In most models, even very large ones, it is considerably less.

A very good argument for getting rid of the Contributor application.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

Paul-TM1 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:47 pm Hi all,
In 10.2.2, when ever I delete a chunk of elements from the "Approval hierarchy" dimension and apply manage Rights, it takes 4-5 hours to complete the process in multi threaded configuration.

<deployment maxThreads="4"/>
Normal manage rights with 4 threads takes about an hour. What happens in this 4-5 hours is a mystery. Can someone please explain the long process? What is different?
In my experience, the longest part is usually the }tp_rights_update_RDCLS_static_rights process that does a really huge loop over the groups / approval nodes / control dimension intersections and copies the rule calculated rights value to a 'static' slice. Because it does it for every cube in your application and you maybe have a lot of groups / approval elements / elements in control dimension -- it will take ages to scan through it.
The parallel processing 'chunks' this process into parts, but doesn't really change the overall approach.

You can decrease the search space by pruning unnecessary groups / control elements.

You can also get hacky and optimise this process to look at only the applicable group / control dimension element subset for applications to reduce the time quite a bit. For example, looping through only the applicable 100 groups for an application instead of a 1000 in total would speed up the execution by a factor of 10 :) But this is a bit of an exercise in coding and you'd be changing the 'out of the box' process.

Cheers,
Y
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

Paul-TM1 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm Hi Elessar,
Thanks for the reply.
It takes about an hour for SecurityRefresh normally. On PA 2.0.4 and 2.0.6, it takes about 1.5 hours. Since it was taking longer, I asked IBM and they gave us an interim fix and that does not complete securityRefresh. It stops before completing with an error as below
Really try and see if you can remove some of the user groups you're having, it will make everything a lot faster :)
And it might be worth looking into setting PrivilegeGenerationOptimization to T and writing feeders for Cell Security rules, it improves cell security rule processing time.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

Cellsecurity cubes are calculated each time when user reads data, they do not affect SecurityRefresh.

1,5h is really long for SecurityRefresh. Do you have rules in ElementSecurity cubes for large dimensions? There is a good practice to update ElementSecurity cubes for dimensions with >500 elements using TI, so that their rules will not be calculated during SecurityRefresh.

And another thing: how large is your }tp_jobs dimension? It can also affect application maintenance time:
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview. ... wg21987687
Last edited by Elessar on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Also you can have Cell Security cubes with less dimensions than the original cubes. Maybe this helps as well.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Paul-TM1

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Thanks for all your ideas Ykud, Elessar, Lotsaram and Wim G.
I tried to run the ideas presented by Elessar and it did not get a positive result. May be a server restart might provide. I will be trying other ideas as I proceed.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Paul.
Catherine
Version: 10.2.2 - PA

Post by Catherine »

Wim Gielis wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 am Also you can have Cell Security cubes with less dimensions than the original cubes. Maybe this helps as well.
Hi Wim,
Please, could you tell me more about this ?
From which version is it possible ? I saw it was possible through Performance modeler... In 10.2.2, using Perspectives, when I right click on a cube to implement cell security, it creates a control cube with all dimensions + }Groups dimensions. I have no choice regarding dimensions.
Thanks in advance
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

It's the TI command CellSecurityCubeCreate, supported in 10.2.something onwards:

https://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11423&p=54152#p54152
Catherine
Version: 10.2.2 - PA

Post by Catherine »

Thank you very much !
I will test it very soon.