}Views_* and }Subsets_* control dimensions

qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

}Views_* and }Subsets_* control dimensions

Post by qml »

This is a bit of a public service announcement and a bit of a question. I have noticed that as of PA 2.0.5 there are new control dimensions available which list all existing public views and subsets:
- Dimensions named '}Views_cube' list public views associated with each cube.
- Dimensions named '}Subsets_dimension' list public subsets associated with each dimension.

This makes it quite a bit easier to maintain/update/manipulate/count/clean up existing objects as it's no longer necessary to search for *.vue and *.sub files in the file system. I have already created a few useful tools based on these objects and they work a treat.

The question is - does anyone know which exact version this was introduced in? I'd like to know the minimum version my new TIs require to work. I think I've missed the grand announcement about this being added. :D
Kamil Arendt
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: }Views_* and }Subsets_* control dimensions

Post by lotsaram »

The }Views_ }Hierarchies_ & }Subsetts_ control dimensions have been there right from PA 2.0

However be aware that in 2.0.6 IBM changed how }Subsets_ dimensions are implemented. It is a change for the better, but if you had already developed tools based on the old structure then still a pain to update.

Likewise I really, really hope that IBM don't decide to remove the dimension:hierarchy elements from }Dimensions. As that would completely destroy many of the new tools I have for administering PA models.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Like Lotsa said, it's been there from 2.0. Remember the good old days when there were "What's New" .pdfs and you could just search for a feature?

Aaaah, nostalgia, man... it ain't what it used to be.

Nonetheless there are still such lists available though these days you have to poke and prod through them since Google runs away screaming when it tries to navigate IBM's web site. You'll find the change mentioned in the 2.0 What's New for the server.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

Fantastic, thanks both for the useful details. Both my googling and observational skills are in dire need of an upgrade!
Kamil Arendt
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

lotsaram wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:48 pm Likewise I really, really hope that IBM don't decide to remove the dimension:hierarchy elements from }Dimensions. As that would completely destroy many of the new tools I have for administering PA models.
True. On the other hand, we should review existing code too when there is a loop over elements in the dimension }Dimensions, since hierarchies can be part of that list too. We should make sure that everything translates well in the case of names like dim:hier instead of dim. With an entire library of TI processes this isn't an easy job.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Wim Gielis wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:44 pm True. On the other hand, we should review existing code too when there is a loop over elements in the dimension }Dimensions, since hierarchies can be part of that list too. We should make sure that everything translates well in the case of names like dim:hier instead of dim. With an entire library of TI processes this isn't an easy job.
Yep. Been there done that. It has been a BIG job to make everything "hierarchy aware."
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.