TM1 Admin Server - Adjusting the default MTU of 1460

gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

TM1 Admin Server - Adjusting the default MTU of 1460

Post by gtonkin »

Does anyone know how to adjust the MTU on the admin server and if this will impact on how Perspectives "talks" to the server?
My thought process here is that where I have perspectives clients connecting over a WAN/3G connection, performance must improve if we align MTU i.e. data bucket sizes.
TM1_AdminServer_MTU.PNG
TM1_AdminServer_MTU.PNG (7.18 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
I cannot see anything relating to this in Cognos Configuration (10.2.2 and PA 2.0.1) or in the Ops guide for previous versions (unless you go back to some really old posts on this forum i.e. v8 days)

p.s. I do not/would not normally run the Admin Server in application mode-was fiddling around on my dev system and noticed the MTU column
BrianL
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 Admin Server - Adjusting the default MTU of 1460

Post by BrianL »

To the best of my knowledge it's not actually configurable.

However, the admin server is really only used for discovery. Login and all other operations are done directly with the TM1 Server and do not pass through the admin server in any way.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks Brian, was rather hoping that tweaking would set all comms. The poor performances over MPLS networks vs better over some 3G/LTE seems to be down to smaller packet sizes accommodating the chatty traffic better.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Something like this.... http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=379 looks like it has been deprecated for a while.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Yup, the exact post from eons ago I referred to-was blissfully optimistic that over 9 years of enhancing the product, new and improved features would be added to allow us to use the product from anywhere - Guess I will be focusing more on CAFE/PAX as a forward looking solution to poor performance over WANs.
I can already see the worms escaping from the can!
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Steve Rowe wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 am Something like this.... http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=379 looks like it has been deprecated for a while.
Wow the documentation actually refers to "iTM1" LOL
Ahh the 90s when iThis and iThat was kinda new and cool and kinda sorta stood for "internet appliance". Way before Apple decided that the 9th letter of the alphabet belonged to them
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.