Latency Dilema

IanB
OLAP Product: TM1 SSAS
Version: 9.5,10.2
Excel Version: 2010 2013 2016

Latency Dilema

Post by IanB »

Hi all

I'm interested in the thoughts of the community on deployment of TM1 to global users through a single instance

My current architecture is multi-local with replication*
Most users connect to LAN-based TM1 via the traditional Excel addin which works well.
*(and yes, this is still v9.5.2 sp3)

Moving this to a single global instance will not work well over a WAN - latency over 50ms compromises the user experience
Interestingly, the ISB does work extremely well over WAN connections with latency of over 300ms

Of course, TM1 WEB or remote desktop are other well used options, but the flexibility of the direct to Excel DBRW( function is a highly valued feature of the multi-local architecture

I'm not aware of any significant enhancement in v10.2 that improves on this
Is it time to junk all our traditional TM1 apps and move to the 10.3 cloud-based planning analytics platform?

IanB
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Latency Dilema

Post by Steve Rowe »

There is also PA local to consider. PAx has been optimised for the WAN including DBRW formula views.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

IanB wrote:Of course, TM1 WEB or remote desktop are other well used options, but the flexibility of the direct to Excel DBRW( function is a highly valued feature of the multi-local architecture
Why in the world do you think you can you not use Perspectives (and thus DBRW formulas) in a remote desktop environment? I have clients that use this all the time. Windows Remote Desktop is probably not the best choice but either Citrix or VDI work splendidly with TM1.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

IanB wrote:Moving this to a single global instance will not work well over a WAN - latency over 50ms compromises the user experience
Interestingly, the ISB does work extremely well over WAN connections with latency of over 300ms
50 ms is pretty dang fast, and you're not going to have any usability problems with Remote Desktop over that connection. Half my userbase connects with one of our systems with substantially worse pings (> 100 ms).

That said, there is a point where slow pings are not usable. My international users are not able to effectively work on our SF server, so I have remote servers for them. Their pings are > 500 ms though.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
IanB
OLAP Product: TM1 SSAS
Version: 9.5,10.2
Excel Version: 2010 2013 2016

Post by IanB »

Thanks Tomok

I did of course forget to mention that a small number of my users do indeed connect to global TM1 applications on slow connections using RDP and indeed this does work well.
Educating users where to save remote local files, however provides endless fun!

Thanks the tip about PA local
That will be my next port of call

IanB
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

IanB wrote:Educating users where to save remote local files, however provides endless fun!
Have you investigated RemoteApp? It uses RDP but allows access to local resources (drives, printers, etc).

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.