Number Consolidation based on security settings

cdhodge2002

Number Consolidation based on security settings

Post by cdhodge2002 »

Looking for a little clarification on a security item that was brought to my attention by a user.

If I am a user and I have access to 3 children that roll up to a parent. The parent has a total of 6 children. If I grant security access to that parent and I go to report data off that parent will that aggregation be an aggregation of the 3 children I have access to or the 6 total children of the parent.

I heard this might be an enhancement in newer versions of TM1 but I am not totally sure. The version of TM1 I am working with is a couple of versions behind and consolidations sum the total of the children.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Number Consolidation based on security settings

Post by Wim Gielis »

It's the sum of 6 children, not 3.
I haven't heard of changes in this respect.
It's been always like still and will most probably remain like this.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

TM1 does not alter the results of a consolidated calculation to reflect only those cells beneath which a specific user has security access and likely never will. Doing so would totally blow out of the water the concept of cached results since now it would have to be by user.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

Reporting consistent numbers would become a nightmare so I'd be surprised if this was implemented
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

cdhodge2002 wrote:If I am a user and I have access to 3 children that roll up to a parent. The parent has a total of 6 children. If I grant security access to that parent and I go to report data off that parent will that aggregation be an aggregation of the 3 children I have access to or the 6 total children of the parent.

I heard this might be an enhancement in newer versions of TM1 but I am not totally sure. The version of TM1 I am working with is a couple of versions behind and consolidations sum the total of the children.
That would be anything but an "enhancement". It would be a nightmare.

"Alternate facts" might be in vogue in politics but in finance and analytics the sum of a consolidation has an objectively correct value which is not influenced by users' ability to see all of the components underneath or not.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Interesting problem though...

If you have a parent with 4 children and you have access to the parent and 3 of the children only then the security breaks.

Answers on a postcard.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
mvaspal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10 2 2 - 2.0.5
Excel Version: From 2007 to 2013

Post by mvaspal »

just an argument from the other other side: this worked in Cognos Planning, and many times proved to be a great feature; just search this forum for people looking for CP's access tables and then the non-perfect workarounds that TM1 gives you...
there are use cases when accumulating only those elements that you have access to is very useful; i.e. I do not think custom consolidations will be supported in CAFE/PAw, and building a User Group based hierarchy may not be the perfect solution

So I don't think this is a black/white topic
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

Even in Cognos Planning the access tables did not affect the way in which the consolidation was done. If there data was there it was aggregated, even if it was invisible to the user. We had arguments internally about the problem Steve highlights but there was never any question of doing the aggregation any other way.

The other aspect was that as you moved up the organisation hierarchy (what we used to call the eList - you know, late 90s, e-Everything) you got the union of the access below.