TI Process Performance Tuning

aravind.cgns
OLAP Product: Cognos Tm1
Version: 10.2,11
Excel Version: 2007

TI Process Performance Tuning

Post by aravind.cgns »

Hi Team,

I have a simple Turbointegrator Process with 2 dimensions in it, the datasource is CSV file. It has around 600 records but it taking around 23 minutes to execute. Here in one dimension two of its elements are populated by "Subset Picklist". Please suggest me to optimize the execution time.

Thanks,
Aravind.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TI Process Performance Tuning

Post by lotsaram »

aravind.cgns wrote:Please suggest me to optimize the execution time.
Start by providing some shred of relevant information about the dimensions and what the process is doing.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
aravind.cgns

Post by aravind.cgns »

Hi lotsa,

It is an actuals load TI Process which copies data from CSV file to cube. It has two dimensions "Item" and "Item Attributes" the "Item Attributes" dimension has 7 elements out of which two of the element's has attributes which uses "Subset Picklist", It is an simple TIP which loads data from "CSV" file to cube. It takes around 24 minutes to execute.

Thanks,
Aravind
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

The picklist is probably red herring since I think it can only stop people from entering incorrect values through one of the user interfaces, not a TI. The more likely culprit is feeders re-firing as each value is written to the cube. I've seen this happen before in poorly designed feeders. I take it this cube has rules and is feeding something based on "Actuals"?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
TrevorGoss
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.1.1
Excel Version: 14.0.6129.5000

Post by TrevorGoss »

tomok wrote:The picklist is probably red herring since I think it can only stop people from entering incorrect values through one of the user interfaces, not a TI.
You could stop people from entering incorrect values into a Picklist from a TI by using the SCAN function on the Attribute value. The logic would be, if substring is not in the string type return value of the Attrs function, then it is incorrect.

Trev
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Suggest you post your code as requested.

My bet would be that you have MDX subsets that are being recalculated.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
aravind.cgns

Post by aravind.cgns »

Steve there is no MDX subsets. As Tom said i guess the problem would be due to feeders the reason being there auto-generated feeders by performance modeler. The model is link driven, The cube has 5 target links.

Thanks,
Aravind
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

TrevorGoss wrote:
tomok wrote:The picklist is probably red herring since I think it can only stop people from entering incorrect values through one of the user interfaces, not a TI.
You could stop people from entering incorrect values into a Picklist from a TI by using the SCAN function on the Attribute value. The logic would be, if substring is not in the string type return value of the Attrs function, then it is incorrect.

Trev
True, you could add your own custom code, utilizing the data in a picklist cuibe, to stop invalid data in a ti but the fact of just having a picklist on a dimension won't do it, like it will for entering data in the cell manually which was my point. I would be willing to bet everything I own that the OP does not have such custom code in his TI which is why I said the picklist issue was a red herring for his problem.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Steve there is no MDX subsets. As Tom said i guess the problem would be due to feeders the reason being there auto-generated feeders by performance modeler. The model is link driven, The cube has 5 target links.
The keywords here may be performance modeler :shock: . I think tomok's suggestion to check the feeders is the best place. An additional question: are you writing string or numeric data or both to the cube? If you happen to be overwriting string data used for a feeder, that can cause the feeders to re-fire.

One suggestion would be to deactivate the rules in the prolog and in the epilog reload them.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Maybe Performance Modeler annoyingly added a Feedstrings statement at the top of the rules statements ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
BrianL
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

It's been a while since I've had anything to do with Performance Modeller, but I seem to recall it required setting ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange=T for it's generated rules. That can have a big impact on performance too.
aravind.cgns

Post by aravind.cgns »

Hi PavoGa,

we are loading both numeric and string data in to the cube, you want me comment the code in prolog tab and copy the same in the epilog??

Wim ,

there is Feedstrings statement added at the top of the rules statements, You want me comment that???

Brain,

ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange=T is already set to true in config file.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Yes see if it makes a difference in terms of performance.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
aravind.cgns

Post by aravind.cgns »

Wim,

I have commented the Feedstrings statement in the rule editor and executed the TIP but there is no performance Improvement!!
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange=T is already set to true in config file.

This should be F for performance.

Any well designed systems should not require this parameter in the first place (IMO!)
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

we are loading both numeric and string data in to the cube, you want me comment the code in prolog tab and copy the same in the epilog??
Sorry, I was not clear. What I am suggesting you try is to remove the rules from the cube then running your process to load the cube. I would expect this to confirm your rules are the problem, not the TI (having said that without looking at the code).

If confirming the rules/feeders are the problem then rework them. (are the feeders conditional?) If you cannot rework them to improve the performance, then you may try this:

In the prolog of your TI, include some code kind of like this:

Code: Select all

strCmd = 'cmd /c copy \path\cubename.rux \path\cubename.bak';
ExecuteCommand(strCmd, 1);
CubeRuleDestroy(cubename);
In the Epilog, do one of two things:

Simple:

RuleLoadFromFile(cubename, '\path\cubename.bak');
Or:

strCmd = 'cmd /c TM1RunTI -process ProcessToLoadRules pCubename=cubename...';
ExecuteCommand(strCmd, 0);
The disadvantage to the latter is it is more complicated. The advantage is it will allow your primary process to complete while the rule file is loaded in the background. There are other things to consider here as well, such as locking. As I said it is more complicated.

Things to try. Good luck.

Ty
Ty
Cleveland, TN