TM1 Licensing Questions

ae4046
Version: 9.3
Excel Version: 2007

TM1 Licensing Questions

Post by ae4046 »

I am working on renewing the TM1 licenses for 2017. I am a little confused by the TM1 licensing model.

The key question here is, do we need both user licenses and PVU licenses listed below? It sounds like to me we only need one. PVU is more like enterprise-wide license. Not sure if I am right or wrong. Any help sis appreciated!!

User Licenses
-- IBM Cognos Performance Management User Authorized User
-- IBM Cognos Performance Management Modeler Authorized User"

PVU License
-- IBM Cognos Analytic Server Processor Value Unit (PVU)
-- IBM Cognos Analytic Server for Non-Production Environment Processor

Thanks.

Shen
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Re: TM1 Licensing Questions

Post by Paul Segal »

The User licenses enable users to view and manipulate the data etc, and the Server licences are to enable the servers to run, so I'm afraid the answer is yes, you do need both. It would be nice if you didn't...
Paul
mvaspal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10 2 2 - 2.0.5
Excel Version: From 2007 to 2013

Post by mvaspal »

Hi
It also depends what renewing means for you...have you had continuous maintenance paid, or you have not paid any maintenance fee for a while and now you are renewing? My understanding is you don't want to buy new licenses just pay for the support? Do you also want to upgrade to a newer release at the same time?

UPDATE: sorry, just see you are on 9.3? So my assumption is you have not paid support fee for a while, you want to renew, and go for say 10.2.2? In that case I doubt you can avoid paying for both, and it will be not the support renewal fee but smth called reinstatement (unless your ibm rep's dashboard is still in the deep red range and want to sell new licenses at a discounted rate which is at the end cheaper than reinstatement fee).
stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

mvaspal wrote: UPDATE: sorry, just see you are on 9.3? So my assumption is you have not paid support fee for a while.
TM1 Version 9.3 never existed; the numbering changed from 9.1 under Applix to 9.4 post Cognos\IBM takeover.

As mvaspal pointed out, if you are out off support there may be more cost efficient options to renew than going the reinstatement route. If you have less than 100 users moving to Cognos Express is often cheaper on a 1 or 2 year basis.
mvaspal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10 2 2 - 2.0.5
Excel Version: From 2007 to 2013

Post by mvaspal »

and now it turned out that I started tm1 with 9.4 :D then 9.3 should be like the Platform 9¾ for Hogwarts Express

good point Stephen, CX is often cheaper than any enterprise reinstatement