Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: All
Excel Version: All

IBM Planning Analytics On Prem

Post by Edward Stuart »

http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/blog/ibm-p ... e-premises

On a train so can't check Partnerworld for a release but this could be 10.3 on Premise. It could also be a Senior Marketing Writer jumping the gun...
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: IBM Planning Analytics On Prem

Post by lotsaram »

Gun jumper.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Edward Stuart wrote:... can't check Partnerworld for a release but this could be 10.3 on Premise.
Word from WoW & Planning Analytics launch is that 10.3 with PA will remain cloud only and never be an on premise version.

The version that makes it's on premise debut "late November/early December" will be powered by TM1 v11 but known as "Planning Analytics Local Server 2.0".
Make of that what you will.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

lotsaram wrote:The version that makes it's on premise debut "late November/early December" will be powered by TM1 v11 but known as "Planning Analytics Local Server 2.0".
Make of that what you will.
I don't like the idea of having parallel version numbering. It was confusing and hard to keep track of with "Cognos Express version X powered by TM1 version Y" and I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to start doing it again with PA.

I am also slightly sceptical about the release date. I remember a few years back there was a "late November" release of TM1 that ended up happening hours before Christmas Day, which for many people is not an ideal time to do anything about any newly released software.
Kamil Arendt
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

qml wrote:I am also slightly sceptical about the release date.
If I recall correctly the original target date was calendar Q3, which has of course been and gone along with the greater part of 2016.
qml wrote: I remember a few years back there was a "late November" release of TM1 that ended up happening hours before Christmas Day, which for many people is not an ideal time to do anything about any newly released software.
You've been around THAT long? Unless they did it with another version as well I recall that a Christmas release happened with 9.1 SP3 as was discussed in the Old Applix Forum here. I can't remember when 9.1 SP3 came out but at the risk of making everyone feel slightly arthritic and in need of a nanna nap, "a few years" is a charitable description. This place has been running since 2008 so if it was on the old forum it pre-dates that by "a ways".
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Any word on if "on premise PAW" will be part of TM1 (i.e. free to people who have been paying their licence) or an additional product?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

Steve Rowe wrote:Any word on if "on premise PAW" will be part of TM1 (i.e. free to people who have been paying their licence) or an additional product?
I understand that existing TM1 and ( I think) CX customers will be able to upgrade to "Planning Analytics Local" under their support agreements at no extra charge BUT users will not be licensed to use the Workspace unless they pay extra. The only exception is Modeler licenses who can use PAW and will need it for, eg maintenance of new "hierarchy" feature.

Should find out more tomorrow.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Another link appeared in my linkedin news feed saying it is released on premise:

Here

I am guessing the previous comments here of "not yet" are still valid? Or was it released yesterday?
Declan Rodger
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

declanr wrote:Another link appeared in my linkedin news feed saying it is released on premise:

Here

I am guessing the previous comments here of "not yet" are still valid? Or was it released yesterday?
The thing that I am struck by on that page is that the IBM page that it links to (this one), and the other IBM page that that one links to (this one) speak about "signing up" for a "free trial". If the real, live production software was out there, I would have thought that (a) there would be something a little more concrete than "signing up" for a "trial" on offer and that (b) Real, live 10.3 would be out there for download by users who are on maintenance.

Yet I see no evidence of either.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

Alan Kirk wrote: The thing that I am struck by on that page is that the IBM page that it links to (this one), and the other IBM page that that one links to (this one) speak about "signing up" for a "free trial".
Good catch... I didn't actually read much other than the title and a quick scan for a date.
Declan Rodger
hardstep
OLAP Product: TM1, EP, Powerplay, C8/C10
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by hardstep »

Hi Declan,
We are waiting for a GA release date for this from IBM. I'm told this will likely be early december.
In typical IBM style this time of the year - we wait for the marketing hype from Las Vegas to turn into tangible, downloadable product.
Already in the UK there are a couple of IBM launch events planned for mid November to position this to clients.
Reach out to me and I can guide you through some more details.
Nick
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

hardstep wrote:Hi Declan,
We are waiting for a GA release date for this from IBM. I'm told this will likely be early december.
In typical IBM style this time of the year - we wait for the marketing hype from Las Vegas to turn into tangible, downloadable product.
Already in the UK there are a couple of IBM launch events planned for mid November to position this to clients.
Reach out to me and I can guide you through some more details.
Nick
Hi Nick,

No worries, I understand the hazards with planning for IBM release dates... but I read the article as it saying "it is already released" so was a bit confused as to my inability to find it on partner world.
Thought IBM may have been keeping secrets from me but looks like I am on the same stage as everyone else.

Cheers,
D
Declan Rodger
Bakkone
Version: 10.2.2

Post by Bakkone »

So this is basically what I was just told in a meeting. Sorry if Im lacking technical details.

- "Planning Analytics Local 2.0" is the on-premise version of PA.
- GA in December 2016.
- The workspace function requires a new dedicated server (Crap...)
- The workspace function is included for all new customers (at a higher price point).
- Current customers have to pay an extra fee for each user.

It pissed me off that I need another server. Its becoming a real hazzle to use TM1. I dont know if they are trying to force me into the cloud, but its more like they are forcing themselves out of business. I also told them that these new bells and whistles are really a hygiene thing. It saddens me that I need to buy a new license and a server for that.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Have they told you what architecture it runs on? ;)
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

In sessions with both the server build team and Dave Corbett they said that it will be PA on premise. They did however mention that server engine will be said to be "powered by TM1". More interestingly Dave mentioned a couple of times that certain elements of it may be Q1.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
stephen waters
MVP

Post by stephen waters »

o this is basically what I was just told in a meeting. Sorry if Im lacking technical details.
- "Planning Analytics Local 2.0" is the on-premise version of PA.
- GA in December 2016.
- The workspace function requires a new dedicated server (Crap...)
- The workspace function is included for all new customers (at a higher price point).
- Current customers have to pay an extra fee for each user.
We may have been at the same meeting but can I just give my understanding and clarification on some of your points, happy to be corrected
- As I mentioned in previous post, current users will have to pay extra for using Workspace but will be able to upgrade and use the rest of PA Local without extra charge
- The GA date will be early December with marketing events in November. I think GA has to be December so they can recognise revenue from the product in 2016.
- There is likely to be a special Q4 offer for existing customers to upgrade to Workspace. Sounds a bit optimistic to me!
- I think the "dedicated server" comment refers to the entire PA installation on Docker, including PAW. I do not think PAW itself needs a dedicated server.
- "Planning Analytics Local Version 2.0 (Powered by IBM TM1) " will effectively be the current beta and was previously expected to be TM1 version 11. It will include new TM1 Web, hierachies, new PAx (formerly CAFÉ) etc
- The Cognos name will completely disappear from the PA product stream, [ ahhhhh..... ;-) ]. Not sure if this applies to Express but hope so.
- Given the low takeup of the current Cognos BI in PA they are removing it from the standard build but it can be added at extra cost
On Cognos Express, subject to clarification (IBM hope to set up a follow up partner call to discuss licensing)
- They are removing the limit of 1600 PVUs and returning to a limit of a single physical ( and probably virtual ) server.
- This is probably to allow CX users to avoid having to run ILMT in a sub-capacity licensing situation, if so, IMHO it seems silly to have legal tail wagging product dog
- The current CX license is quite clear that you can have 50 PM users and 50 complete users, thus giving up to 100 read\write users. Apparently this was not IBM's intention and the licencing will be changed so there can be a maximum of 50 CX TM1 read\write users.
- btw would be great if they actually renamed "Cognos Express Performance Management" something like "IBM Express TM1" !! finger crossed for that.
Bakkone

Post by Bakkone »

I understood it as the Docker thing (PAW) actually needed its own server. I think this was due to the fact that it needed dedicated processors and ram. Hopefully Im wrong and I could put it on the same machine as the one running my BI (For CAM) and Web-server. I do this to lower the PVU needed.

What was really interesting was a note that one of the new functions of the TM1 server was a "LDAP SSO Capabilities"-thing. (Dont remember the exact line). This could mean that we don't need to install BI to use CAM. The guys I met (sales people) didn't really know what that meant.

And yes, there will be a heavily discounted price for current customers available during Q4. But somehow it feels the rebate is because of us having to buy a pig in a poke.

All in all I like it. It looks good. I can see a lot of use for it at the company Im currently working for. Just wish I could implement it with a quick installation and right now it looks like I need more servers. Also, some of the features, like chat, needs some more work to be useful. There are also key features missing from workspaces like Comments and spreading not working like we are used to. I know these features were missing from PA a year ago but really thought they would have that done by now.
stephen waters
MVP

Post by stephen waters »

Bakkone wrote:I understood it as the Docker thing (PAW) actually needed its own server. I think this was due to the fact that it needed dedicated processors and ram. Hopefully Im wrong and I could put it on the same machine as the one running my BI (For CAM) and Web-server. I do this to lower the PVU needed.
Bakkone, I have been checking my notes and teh slides again and I think you are right that Workspace will need a dedicated server. Dave Cobetts "Hardware Requirements" diagram shows:
- Workspace Dedicated Server
- TM1 V2 Data Tier Server ( ie TM1 server)
- TM1 V2 Web Tier Server

On naming, Cognos Express will become "Planning Analytics Express 2.0" and will include options for both PA and CA(Cognos Analytics) This is potentially confusing since they are removing CA from the standard Enterprise PA bundle.

CX Performance Manager user will be renamed "IBM PA Express TM1 user" with rights to PA and Workspace
CX User ( ie complete) will be renamed "IBM PA Express user" with rights to CA, PA and Workspace
Bakkone

Post by Bakkone »

Im waiting for clarification on that one. Seems there might be some confusion within IBM (anyone surprised?).
Bakkone

Post by Bakkone »

They just told me it doesn't need a dedicated server.