SBK88
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2013

Change TM1 server location - Service getting started from old location

Post by SBK88 »

Hi All,

Need your help
I have few TM1 servers installed (PROD environment) in Drive D, I need to move them to new Drive E.
I have updated the cfg file in new location. ( data directory and log directory new path)
and have updated the TM1 server configuration path for the particular TM1 server in IBM Cognos Configuration.

But while restarting the TM1 services, it is getting started from its OLD location not from the new one.
Is there anything that I have missed or what additional thing I need to update ?

Thanks
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Change TM1 server location - Service getting started from old location

Post by lotsaram »

DELETE the service using cmd.exe (sc delete "service name")
Then Cognos Configuration will regenerate the service with the correct path to the folder containing tm1s.cfg
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
TrevorGoss
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2.1.1
Excel Version: 14.0.6129.5000

Post by TrevorGoss »

lotsaram wrote:DELETE the service using cmd.exe (sc delete "service name")
Then Cognos Configuration will regenerate the service with the correct path to the folder containing tm1s.cfg
You can also delete the service from the Cognos configuration application. Is there a reason for deleting via a windows command instead of the Cognos configuration? I know when you delete it from the Cognos configuration it saves all of your other services and when you close the application it asks if you want to start all of your stopped services, but apart from that, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Thanks.

Trevor.
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

TrevorGoss wrote: You can also delete the service from the Cognos configuration application. Is there a reason for deleting via a windows command instead of the Cognos configuration? I know when you delete it from the Cognos configuration it saves all of your other services and when you close the application it asks if you want to start all of your stopped services, but apart from that, is there any reason to pick one over the other?
Only speed and convenience. Deleting with command line takes a second. Thereafter selecting "start" in Cognos configuration will automatically recreate the service. Deleting in Cognos config causes an unnecessary resaving and checking of all the services and more time staring at the COGNOS hourglass.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
TrevorGoss
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2.1.1
Excel Version: 14.0.6129.5000

Post by TrevorGoss »

lotsaram wrote:
TrevorGoss wrote: You can also delete the service from the Cognos configuration application. Is there a reason for deleting via a windows command instead of the Cognos configuration? I know when you delete it from the Cognos configuration it saves all of your other services and when you close the application it asks if you want to start all of your stopped services, but apart from that, is there any reason to pick one over the other?
Only speed and convenience. Deleting with command line takes a second. Thereafter selecting "start" in Cognos configuration will automatically recreate the service. Deleting in Cognos config causes an unnecessary resaving and checking of all the services and more time staring at the COGNOS hourglass.
Yeah I can agree with that, thanks.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

I usually just update the ConfigPath in the registry for the relevant service.

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<tm1 server>\ConfigPath
whitej_d
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by whitej_d »

I reported this as a bug to IBM when v10.1 first came out. They told me it was expected behaviour!
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

whitej_d wrote:I reported this as a bug to IBM when v10.1 first came out. They told me it was expected behaviour!
I got the same with service name getting farked if there is a space between param name equal sign and param value in tm1s.cfg