[SOLVED]Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.2.2 fp2 doesn't open

Stanislav2
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: -

[SOLVED]Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.2.2 fp2 doesn't open

Post by Stanislav2 »

Hi,
I installed TM1 v10.2.2 fixpack 2 + TM1 Architect on single Windows 2008 R2 (all software 64-bit). I logged into Architect everything seems to be working fine except for Rules Editor. I double click on any rules (at any cube) but nothing happens. For small part of the second Loading Rules Editor appears, but when this small window disappears nothing happens. I expect to see Rules Editor opened in another window, but it doesn't.

Someone else having this problem. Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks
Attachments
rules_editor.png
rules_editor.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 10829 times
Last edited by Stanislav2 on Tue May 19, 2015 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Rules Editor in TM1 v10.2.2 fixpack 2 does not open

Post by Elessar »

IBM gradually moves us to Performance Modeler :)
Try 32bit architect
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
BrianL
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

Check out this technote from IBM.
Technote 1902894 wrote:Unable to open rules editor in Perspectives/Architect

Technote (troubleshooting)

Problem(Abstract)
User attempts to open the rules editor to edit a rule and the editor does not open.

Resolving the problem
The Advanced Rules Editor is no longer available as of TM1 version 10.2, so make sure that AdvancedRulesEditor = F is set in the tm1p.ini file.

Close all TM1 clients before modifying the tm1p.ini file. Then re-launch and test to be sure that the basic editor is functional.

There was just a conversation about this a few days ago here on the forum.
Stanislav2

Post by Stanislav2 »

Elessar wrote:IBM gradually moves us to Performance Modeler :)
Interesting when installing TM1 v10.2.2 server default checked for install development tool is Architect. Performance Modeler is by default disabled for installation. If this is a statement, then it looks like vice versa.
Elessar wrote:Try 32bit architect
Did someone tried this? Is Rules Editor working in 32-bit Architect? I doubt from the BrianL info bellow.
BrianL wrote:The Advanced Rules Editor is no longer available as of TM1 version 10.2
Thanks for the info. I am gonna tell I am little bit surprised (=shocked) that there is no message box with error message in Architect to tell us this info. Like it is not it looks like there is a bug.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Stanislav2 wrote:
Elessar wrote:IBM gradually moves us to Performance Modeler :)
Interesting when installing TM1 v10.2.2 server default checked for install development tool is Architect. Performance Modeler is by default disabled for installation. If this is a statement, then it looks like vice versa.
Elessar wrote:Try 32bit architect
Did someone tried this? Is Rules Editor working in 32-bit Architect? I doubt from the BrianL info bellow.
BrianL wrote:The Advanced Rules Editor is no longer available as of TM1 version 10.2
Thanks for the info. I am gonna tell I am little bit surprised (=shocked) that there is no message box with error message in Architect to tell us this info. Like it is not it looks like there is a bug.

Advanced Rules Editor is no longer supported and in fact I don't think it has been since one of the 10.1 versions... although I may be mixing that up with the IBM warning saying it will soon no longer be supported.
Despite it not being supported though it does still in fact work with at least up to 10.2.2 FP3.
I do seem to recall it not working with 64-bit clients but that is hardly surprising as the 64-bit clients were developed after support was already pulled for the advanced rules editor.

Also working from memory (so I could be wrong as my memory is terrible) I think that you no longer NEED to install the .NET Framework version that advanced rules editor needs as part of the Install of TM1; so you should check that you have the required version.

But I can guarantee it works fine for me and despite it no longer being supported I have actually found it more reliable than when it was (no red X of death any more.)
Declan Rodger
Stanislav2

Post by Stanislav2 »

@declanr, thanks a lot for this 32-bit Architect info.

I did several tests:
1. Install v10.2.2 TM1 Architect from "TM1 32-bit" separate download. Advanced Rules Editor: WORKS.
2. Install v10.2.2 TM1 Architect from "TM1 64-bit" separate download on another machine.
a) In Windows Start menu there is shortcut to point to <install_dir>\bin64\tm1a.exe. Advanced Rules Editor: DOES NOT WORK!!!
b) If you look at the <install_dir>\bin directory (so not bin64) there is also a file <install_dir>\bin\tm1a.exe. Advanced Rules Editor: WORKS.
It looks like in TM1 64-bit install there are two versions of TM1 Architect one 32-bit in <install_dir>\bin directory and a new one (default in Start menu) in <install_dir>\bin64 directory.

I compared above with my current production TM1 v10.1.1 64-bit fixpack 2:
1. I installed "TM1 64-bit" software and I see TM1 server is installed in <install_dir>\bin64, but TM1 Architect is install ONLY in <install_dir>\bin directory. I was convinced until now, that in v10.1.1 I have installed 64-bit Architect, but it looks like 32-bit Architect is bundled with 64-bit server software and the whole package is just called "TM1 64-bit software".

FINAL SOLUTION:
From Start menu on TM1 Architect right mouse click and Properties and in Target field rename <install_dir>\bin64\tm1a.exe to <install_dir>\bin\tm1a.exe also change path in Start in field to <install_dir>\bin\ and TM1 Advanced Rules Editor is going to work fine. Note: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Applix\TM1\tm1p.ini there should still be set: AdvancedRulesEditor = T
Last edited by Stanislav2 on Tue May 19, 2015 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Stanislav2

Post by Stanislav2 »

declanr wrote:Also working from memory (so I could be wrong as my memory is terrible) I think that you no longer NEED to install the .NET Framework version that advanced rules editor needs as part of the Install of TM1; so you should check that you have the required version.
On my computer .NET Framework 64-bit (installed from Windows component) and .NET Framework 32-bit (separate download from Microsoft web site) are installed.

I did the comparison in Process Monitor (freeware program). I started monitoring in Process Monitor just before double click on rule to launch Advanced Rule Editor.
1. Started TM1 Architect 32-bit witch runs 32-bit .NET Framework.
2. (Closed 32-bit Architect). Started 64-bit Architect with runs 64-bit .NET Framework.
See attachment for details.

Looks like the problem with 64-bit Architect should be investigated in updating 64-bit .NET Framework, because 64-bit Architect still calls .NET Framework (64-bit in this case)... But I decided to stop investigating in this stage, because 32-bit Architect is working without a problem and see no need of using 64-bit Architect at this point. Because IBM declared Advanced Rules Editor as "not supported", there may be some problems with 64-bit Architect with 64-bit .NET Framework that is not easy to resolve.
Attachments
tm1_architect_with_dot_net_framework.png
tm1_architect_with_dot_net_framework.png (125.92 KiB) Viewed 10494 times
roy2087
OLAP Product: cognos tm1
Excel Version: 2007

Re: [SOLVED]Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.2.2 fp2 doesn't

Post by roy2087 »

Thank You Stanislav.

Your Solution.

TM1 Architect -> Properties -> Change Path in Target Field and Change Path in Start Field

worked for me.

Regards,
Roy.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: [SOLVED]Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.2.2 fp2 doesn't

Post by declanr »

roy2087 wrote:Thank You Stanislav.

Your Solution.

TM1 Architect -> Properties -> Change Path in Target Field and Change Path in Start Field

worked for me.

Regards,
Roy.
Unless I am missing something I think this would just use the 64-bit shortcut icon but force it to instead open the 32-bit architect executable.
So as opposed to getting 64-bit architect's advanced rules editor to work... you would just be opening and using 32-bit architect.
So why not just use the 32-bit architect shortcut icon?
Declan Rodger
JamiseBondi
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: [SOLVED]Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.2.2 fp2 doesn't open

Post by JamiseBondi »

Hi guys,

Interesting thread. I tried to get ARE working with Fix Pack 3. In two different environments (same server OS and TM1 software) but on one server I went from fix pack 1 through 2 and then to fix pack 3. When I registered the rules editor dll with .NET I got the ARE to work on the server where it had gone through all the fix packs (1, 2 and 3). On the server where I had just installed Fix pack 3 the ARE didn't work (registereing the rules editor dll just crashed excel when launching from perspectives) so I unregistered it.

In looking for the ARE I tried performance modeller. I find it launches fine from internet explorer but (even after it has been installed) it doesn't want to launch from google chrome. Does anyone know why or how to initialise PM from within chrome?

Many thanks.
roy2087
OLAP Product: cognos tm1
Excel Version: 2007

Re: [SOLVED]Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.2.2 fp2 doesn't open

Post by roy2087 »

Hi ,

Refer this Tech Note from IBM.
This can also be a possible solution.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21615331

Regards,