TI Process to Allocate Account Balances

rmjohnston
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

TI Process to Allocate Account Balances

Post by rmjohnston »

My team is trying to determine the best way to write a TI process or processes to allocation specific location and account balances in our forecast cube. We are using TM1 10.2.2.2. We have cxreated a cube that provides the allocation percentages from 6 months of actual allocations.

The problem we are encountering is that it is an iterative process.
One location (Loc01) clears to 10 different locations(Loc10 thr Loc19). To do this we enter a credit in one account for Loc01 balance and the offsetting entry is spread to the 10 locations accroding to the % in the allocation percentages cube.
Then the next location (Loc20) has the same prcoess to 15 locations (Loc01 thru Loc15).
Notice Loc01 now has a balance from the Loc20 clearing so Loc01 needs to be cleared again.

Have any of you written something like this?
Thank you for your input.
Rhonda
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: TI Process to Allocate Account Balances

Post by tomok »

I have and let me warn you that you have a rather daunting task ahead of you, mostly because your "iterative" requirement. Because of this you are going to have to have a master and slave process where you read in each entry in the master process, do a CellGet to get the current value for the location, add the entry to that and then for every record, call the slave process which builds a view of all the locations to receive an allocation, calculates the allocation and CellPuts the data. You have to do it this way because the allocation for record N-1 has to be committed before you process N and the only way to have the data for N-1 committed is to finish the N-1 slave process before you move on to the N record in the master process.

Unless you are experienced TM1 developer it may be above your pay grade. Expect to spend weeks on this.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
kiss351523
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007 and 2003

Post by kiss351523 »

There is a picture about allocation design in my project, i think it coult help you.
Attachments
allcation design.jpg
allcation design.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

rmjohnston wrote:The problem we are encountering is that it is an iterative process.
One location (Loc01) clears to 10 different locations(Loc10 thr Loc19). To do this we enter a credit in one account for Loc01 balance and the offsetting entry is spread to the 10 locations accroding to the % in the allocation percentages cube.
Then the next location (Loc20) has the same prcoess to 15 locations (Loc01 thru Loc15).
Notice Loc01 now has a balance from the Loc20 clearing so Loc01 needs to be cleared again.
You really ought to consider asking the accountants who do month-end how they deal with this and then consider following their approach in the forecast scenario(s). I'd tend to suspect that they've solved the problem (risk of infinite looping etc) somehow already e.g. using a 'clearing house' business unit to sweep up all the balances to allocate and then allocating them out in one go - the issue with this being a lack of traceability.

No disrespect intended, but it sounds like you've got a project management problem meaning that the business problem hasn't really been fully articulated and therefore your developers are chasing their tails.
Robin Mackenzie