Ideas and tips for enhancing your TM1 application
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

PAW Explorations after cube dimensionality changes

Post by gtonkin »

I recently had to "update" a few cubes with extra dimensions to meet some new business requirements.

Anyone that has done this knows that it is a complete rebuild, with exports, updating rules, feeders, views, templates etc. etc.

I was able to update all the views by editing the .vue files and adding the necessary dimension and subset references.

Then it was on to PAW where I have quite a few Books with many explorations across the tabs.
To my surprise, the explorations rendered - was expecting a blank widget and some error message or other.

The new dimensions were available and seemed to be classified as Default Dimensions (clicking the meatballs menu on the right of the exploration)
I could simply add the new dimensions in and set the subsets and elements required.

Not that you do this every day but was pleasantly surprised and have been saved quite a few hours trying to recreate all these explorations from views or from scratch.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: PAW Explorations after cube dimensionality changes

Post by Elessar »

Hi,
Very useful indeed! That's because the views in PAW are MDX-based, and every dimension, which is not listed in "on 0", "on 1" and "where" clauses, goes to hidden "default" dimensions. And it works fine
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

That hidden section in the exploration views is great for dragging in the virtual sandbox dimension as well (assuming you have it enabled) without having to go through the full navigation pane.
Declan Rodger
PavoGa
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

gtonkin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:46 am I recently had to "update" a few cubes with extra dimensions to meet some new business requirements.

Anyone that has done this knows that it is a complete rebuild, with exports, updating rules, feeders, views, templates etc. etc.

I was able to update all the views by editing the .vue files and adding the necessary dimension and subset references.

Then it was on to PAW where I have quite a few Books with many explorations across the tabs.
To my surprise, the explorations rendered - was expecting a blank widget and some error message or other.

The new dimensions were available and seemed to be classified as Default Dimensions (clicking the meatballs menu on the right of the exploration)
I could simply add the new dimensions in and set the subsets and elements required.

Not that you do this every day but was pleasantly surprised and have been saved quite a few hours trying to recreate all these explorations from views or from scratch.
Use PAW a fair amount and this is quite surprising. At times it seems if one looks at the screen wrong or has their nose pointed in the wrong direction, the blank widget appears, never to be appeased until replaced.

God be Praised!
Ty
Cleveland, TN