Advertisements, add-ons and other commercial information
jimicron
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP2 MSO

TM1 Training

Post by jimicron »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had input on TM1 training. We just went to 10.1.1 and I took the IBM class that was on developing models for 10.1.1 Self paced online and thought it was really poor. There was NO audio in it what-so-ever and no real demos. Basically, you paid serious money to read through a manual. Another coworker has taken the 9.5 online class but instructor lead and thought it was very fast paced, but certainly better than the self paced class.

Another coworker is wanting to take class and I am recommending him to take 9.5 to learn Architect because that is the nut and bolts of TM1. He has the aptitude that I feel he will pick up on Performance Modeler quickly as he is fluent with Analyst. Are there better classes that are online and instructor lead than IBM's official classes?

Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!
George Regateiro
MVP
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Re: TM1 Training

Post by George Regateiro »

Some of the members that work for the consulting companies can chime in on specifics, but my former company engaged a consultant that tailored the class to our specific needs. This turned into a much more helpful experience then the stock training since it was customized and also not stuck to a specific timetable and syllabus. This option might be more expensive, but when you take into account your time and training dollars for the IBM courses I think you might find it to be a better value.
jimicron

Post by jimicron »

*bump*

IBM is no longer offering a class (other than virtual self-paced) on 9.5 (thus, basically VERY little Architect training). The only instructor lead class (virtual) is in 10.1 and that only has one chapter of Architect in it (I've taken the self paced virtual version of this).

I would love to have that sort of training ^^^ but unfortunately, my company won't do that :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated. A co-worker is wanting/needing to take training and feel like he would be better off taking Architect training as since he is an admin with Analyst, he'll pick up on Performance Modeler quickly. Thus, would be better for him to know the "under the hood" sort of stuff.

Thanks a lot!
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jimicron wrote: Any input would be greatly appreciated. A co-worker is wanting/needing to take training and feel like he would be better off taking Architect training as since he is an admin with Analyst, he'll pick up on Performance Modeler quickly. Thus, would be better for him to know the "under the hood" sort of stuff.
I suggest that you make mention of where you are. There's nothing to indicate that on your profile, and the readership of the forum is pretty much global. If everyone knows where you're located someone in that region might be able to point you to someone else who has provided training for them in the past.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jimicron

Post by jimicron »

Hi Kirk,

:) I'm in good ol' Boise, Idaho! :D Thanks!
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jimicron wrote:Hi Kirk,
No, I'm from Iowa, I just work in outer space.
jimicron wrote::) I'm in good ol' Boise, Idaho! :D Thanks!
I don't know of any outfits that far west (which is not to say that there aren't any, just none that I'm really familiar with).

It might, however, be worth taking a look at Quebit's services. They're based out of New York which may be a bit far for physical training but their page does mention Virtual Workshops as one method of delivery. Their course descriptions seem fairly comprehensive for the type of purposes that you describe.

Two disclaimers:
1/ I have no personal experience of their training. I do, however, have some experience of some of their other products and the work of some of their staff and based on that I'd say that on that basis their training would be at the very least worth taking a look at.
2/ One of the other Forum admins is a Quebit staff member. This has not in itself affected me suggesting that you take a look at their wares (other than perhaps giving me more familiarity with some of their work), but whether that's believed or not is left as an exercise for the reader.

Can't hurt to ask...
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
smidili

Post by smidili »

Hello. I am the training manager here at QueBIT and can offer you a variety of training options that will meet your specific educational goals. Please feel free to contact me, in order to have a discussion about your training needs. I look forward to speaking with you. Thank you.
ParisHilton
OLAP Product: Tm1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007 2010

Post by ParisHilton »

I've got a colleague that needs some Tm1 training. We've got quite specific needs as we're using Tm1 primarily for BI rather than as a financial tool. If our needs are similar to yours, perhaps we could join forces to tailor a Quebit course. Failing that I can see myself having to deliver a 'course' :)
“The way I see it, you should live everyday like its your birthday”

TM1 9.5 Cognos BI 8.4 Excel 2007. 128GB Ram. E7450@2.40Ghz -24 core. Fluffy white dog.