TI Commands To Change / Update The Schedule of Chores

Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1

Would you like to see chore manipulation commands in TI?

Absolutely, Bring Them On
89%
No, I don't Want Them
No votes
I Don't Care
11%

Total votes: 27

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

TI Commands To Change / Update The Schedule of Chores

Post by Alan Kirk »

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has had a situation where chores need to be turned on at certain times and off at other times... but haven't been.

If we could manipulate the enabled status of chores via a TI command, it would be possible to run an overnight housekeeping chore to update that status for all of the main chores, ensuring that chores which need to be run for that day are on, and ones which don't are off.

Going further, you may have situations where chores need to be run on a different schedule to usual (say, running updates more frequently on the last day of the month). For these, it would seem to be useful to have the ability to alter the chore's schedule automatically without needing to manually deactivate, change the chore schedule, reactivate, then repeat the whole process when the abnormal period has ended.

Yes, I know that it would be possible to write code in the prolog to determine whether to run the chore and set the original chore at the shortest expected interval. (For instance if the chore normally runs hourly but on one day of the month you need it to run every 15 minutes, you could set it to run at 15 minute intervals and quit 3 out of 4 times on all but that one day.) However that would seem to be a wasteful solution in terms of server processing time.

Thoughts?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: TI Commands To Change / Update The Schedule of Chores

Post by Martin Ryan »

Alan Kirk wrote:However that would seem to be a wasteful solution in terms of server processing time.
Not to mention the massive bloat in the message log.

I currently have two processes that need to run every half hour during the business day, but could be hourly between 5pm and 10pm and off between 10pm-5am. The ability you mention would save a lot of scrolling in the message log when I need to check if a process ran successfully a few days ago.

Either the method you mention would be good, or alternatively a more fully featured way of managing when chores are run. As you and I are both pointing out, there are a lot of chores that have different frequency requirements at different times of the day/week/month. Being able to reflect this - instead of going for the most frequent runs required - would be useful.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

I've raised this in the DeveloperWorks RFE group as request 63585.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jv_oz
Version: PA 2.0.2
Excel Version: 2016 64 bit

Post by jv_oz »

Thanks Alan. I have upvoted your suggestion.