Yes / No Dialog for Performance monitor tool.

Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Yes / No Dialog for Performance monitor tool.

Post by Steve Rowe »

I made a request for this years ago, not sure that the powers that be ever got the point, anyway....

I'd like the option to turn the performance monitor moved from where it is on the server menu. It is very easy to turn on by accident, since it is next to very commonly used admin functions (transaction and message logs). I'd also like to have a dialog box pop up warning that you are turning it on, with the appropiate warnings about having cube logging switched off.

(just discovered that two of my servers that I have responsibility for but don't use on a day to day basis, have had the performance monitor tool switched on and cube logging on for over a month..... :oops: :oops: :oops: )
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Yes / No Dialog for Performance monitor tool.

Post by Martin Ryan »

Seconded. Used to knock 32 bit servers over sometimes by accidentally starting the performance monitor.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Rowe wrote:I made a request for this years ago, not sure that the powers that be ever got the point, anyway....

I'd like the option to turn the performance monitor moved from where it is on the server menu. It is very easy to turn on by accident, since it is next to very commonly used admin functions (transaction and message logs). I'd also like to have a dialog box pop up warning that you are turning it on, with the appropiate warnings about having cube logging switched off.

(just discovered that two of my servers that I have responsibility for but don't use on a day to day basis, have had the performance monitor tool switched on and cube logging on for over a month..... )
It's not a bad idea, though the last time I reinstalled 9.4 on my 9.4 test machine (and I'm fairly sure that I obliterated the sample databases before the reinstall and installed them afresh) I noticed that logging on the PM cubes was already turned off in the sample databases. I'm not sure whether this was a case of "I hadn't gotten rid of everything that I thought I had", or whether they really have modified them to have logging off by default. That's really the only critical thing with PM; I've never had a problem with the monitor itself, only with the log files. If they've really changed it to have logging off by default then it's all good. And if they haven't, then I'd suggest adding that into the request.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

In 9.0 I was surprised that when I went into to turn the logging off the cube logging cells for the }stats cube was blank. Clearly the system interprets this as On. I don't know now if this was the starting condition of the cube.

I'm less concerned about the logging, just moving it to somewhere else in the menu would be very easy and simple and mark a big step in "safety". In the ideal world obviously you'd want everything perfect but I think just moving the option would be a quick win.
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Rowe wrote:In 9.0 I was surprised that when I went into to turn the logging off the cube logging cells for the }stats cube was blank. Clearly the system interprets this as On.
Noooo, that ain't right. I'm looking at a 9.0 session right now. As with all other cubes, if the logging cells have an X, logging is on and the cubes' values will be logged. If the cell is empty, they won't.

I initially had them all on (X-ed) and sure enough the log file was filling up. I turned them off, and it stopped. I checked the box on only the }StatsForServer one (which does the least amount of disk hogging) and sure enough, that cube and that one alone started recording into the log file again.
Steve Rowe wrote:I don't know now if this was the starting condition of the cube.

I'm less concerned about the logging, just moving it to somewhere else in the menu would be very easy and simple and mark a big step in "safety". In the ideal world obviously you'd want everything perfect but I think just moving the option would be a quick win.
Actually I'm not sure that they'd see it as an easy and simple one since it involves changing the GUI, which they've been notoriously reluctant to do outside of major version upgrades. (Their failure to update the supposedly "supported" 9.0's chore icons to show inactive and active chores differently being an example of this.)

That means that they may introduce it in (say) 9.6, but you'll never see a GUI change backdated to earlier supposedly and laughingly described "supported" versions. (Where the "support" takes the form of telling you to upgrade to the next version, where it's "fixed".) I'd have thought that an "under the hood" adjustment to have logging off when the PM cubes are first created would actually be a technically easier fix, though even then I'll lay odds that you'd never see it backdated to earlier "supported" versions.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Steve Rowe wrote:
In 9.0 I was surprised that when I went into to turn the logging off the cube logging cells for the }stats cube was blank. Clearly the system interprets this as On.

Noooo, that ain't right. I'm looking at a 9.0 session right now. As with all other cubes, if the logging cells have an X, logging is on and the cubes' values will be logged. If the cell is empty, they won't.
I was looking directly in the cube proeprties cube rather than through the front end. Yes and blank=On and No=Off. I guess this is right really, you want the default to be On for every cube but the 4 stats cubes.
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Rowe wrote:
Steve Rowe wrote:
In 9.0 I was surprised that when I went into to turn the logging off the cube logging cells for the }stats cube was blank. Clearly the system interprets this as On.

I was looking directly in the cube proeprties cube rather than through the front end. Yes and blank=On and No=Off.
Ah, that could explain it; the }ClientProperties cube is kinda like that too at times, particularly with the STATUS element (even in the versions where it's not crippled). Sometimes it'll tell you (or appear to tell you) one thing while the GUI tells you another. I tend not to trust the cubes very much...
-----------