Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Elements that contain data after zero suppression

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello all,

Suppose you are creating a view with 1 dimension in the rows section, no zero suppression, 1000 rows remain.
Then you turn on zero suppression, say 200 rows remain.
All fine and dandy.

I would very much welcome to be able to select only the elements in the current subset (in the rows dimension) that really have data after zero suppression. Say, 200 elements out of 1000.
This means, hiding the 800 elements, which are not useful in the given context. Na manually selecting elements that remain as valid combinations.

What do others think ? Or is there a trick I am unaware of (besides snapshotting to Excel or MDX or TI process) ?

Enjoy the weekend,

Wim
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Elements that contain data after zero suppression

Post by Alan Kirk »

Wim Gielis wrote: I would very much welcome to be able to select only the elements in the current subset (in the rows dimension) that really have data after zero suppression. Say, 200 elements out of 1000.
+1; the only workaround I've used for this situation is the snapshot one which is (IMHO) unnecessarily laborious. I don't need to do this often but when I do it's an irritation. A minor irritation I grant you, but an irritation nonetheless. A "one click" solution would be welcome.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Gabor
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: [2.x ...] 11.x / PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Excel 2013-2016

Post by Gabor »

I think, it would be a great feature to have a kind of "Pick displayed elements" button when open the col/rows subset editor from a zero suppressed view.
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

Wim Gielis wrote:I would very much welcome to be able to select only the elements in the current subset (in the rows dimension) that really have data after zero suppression. Say, 200 elements out of 1000.
I used the 'Filter by View Extract' function on the subset editor to do this today. It was on }ClientGroups - so that I got any }Clients that are member of group A. This way, one can see members of Group A that aren't in Group B, but, not display people in Group B who aren't in Group A which is what happens if you zero suppress against all }Clients and Group A and Group B.

There was a recent poll/ survey on this function which found that most people on this forum think it is a bit useless. However, it helped me in this situation. It helps that }ClientGroups has two flat dimensions. On cubes with even quite simple hierarchies, it gets a bit annoying (and not at all helpful). Anyway, maybe this will assist you.
Robin Mackenzie