New Cube Registration Failed

cdhodge2002

New Cube Registration Failed

Post by cdhodge2002 »

Has anybody ever gotten this error when trying to create a cube. I have to try and create the cube twice to make the cube actually register but the attribute cubes for my dimensions are not creating at all.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: New Cube Registration Failed

Post by Alan Kirk »

cdhodge2002 wrote:Has anybody ever gotten this error when trying to create a cube. I have to try and create the cube twice to make the cube actually register but the attribute cubes for my dimensions are not creating at all.
(a) Where are you doing this? The GUI, TI, the API...?
(b) Your question is less than clear. You're talking about creating a cube, but then talking about attributes cubes for dimensions. You don't create attributes cubes, you create dimensions, and then create a cube from those dimensions. With regard to attributes you create the attributes after you have created the dimensions, which in turn creates the attribute cubes. If it's really a dimension attribute cube that you're trying to create then I wouldn't be surprised if it's failing; I've never tried it myself but I doubt that the system would like you doing that very much.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
cdhodge2002

Post by cdhodge2002 »

So to expand this is through perspectives. And I am doing this through the regular cube creation tool. I talk about attributes because I created new attributes manually through the "edit element attribute" screen and when I add these attributes and data the attribute control cube does not appear and the data does not save.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

cdhodge2002 wrote:So to expand this is through perspectives. And I am doing this through the regular cube creation tool. I talk about attributes because I created new attributes manually through the "edit element attribute" screen and when I add these attributes and data the attribute control cube does not appear and the data does not save.
You're talking about two completely unrelated things. The Create New Cube menu item (what I expect you're referring to as the "regular cube creation tool") is for creating a data cube from existing dimensions. The Edit Element Attributes... menu item is to add or edit element attributes. Yes, it creates a cube in the process but it has nothing to do with the "cube creation tool".

1/ Create the dimension. Ensure that it has elements contained in it. Make sure that you can see them, select them, that everything works in Subset Editor.
2/ Go to the Edit Element Attributes form. Edit the attributes. Exit the form, saving the new attributes.
3/ Press [F5] on Server Explorer. See whether the attributes cube is there (ensuring that Control Objects are visible, obviously).
4/ If you're getting the "Cube Registration Failed" error at this point then there is probably something wrong with your dimension. Delete it and try again. Make sure that you don't use any special characters that can cause problems in its name. (For mine, this includes spaces.)
5/ Otherwise, don't worry about trying to create a cube until you've determined that the dimension is created and working normally.

You would probably need to provide further details about the cube that you're trying to create and the dimensions that you're creating it from before anyone could get an idea of why it might be happening.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

cdhodge2002 wrote:So to expand this is through perspectives. And I am doing this through the regular cube creation tool. I talk about attributes because I created new attributes manually through the "edit element attribute" screen and when I add these attributes and data the attribute control cube does not appear and the data does not save.
Hi,

Did the dimension/attributes exist before and did you manually delete the attributes cube (}ElementAttributes_dimname.cub file) from the data directory, leaving the corresponding attributes dimension (}ElementAttributes_dimname.dim file) in place? This will lead to a fail to commit the new attributes cube.

Is this a Windows or an Unix based server? If Unix, please note that TM1 stores the object files with lower case names on Unix, which could lead to problems if you started from an existing data directory with mixed case object files.

Does the account the TM1 Server is running on have write (and delete) access to the data directory? Also, if you have situation where you have more than one data directory specified (semicolon separated), does the TM1 Server have write access to (at least the first of) all the data directories listed?

Have you restarted the TM1 Server to see whether this makes a change?

Michel