Excel addin issues 9.5.2 fp1

yorksmp
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Excel addin issues 9.5.2 fp1

Post by yorksmp »

Currently upgrading to 9.5.2 fp1 using excel 2010 and having a number of issues around the Excel add in ribbon displaying xxx. Have installed the client with FP but still we seem to get variable results - ie users get runtimes , xxx for the description of the buttons and even excel just not working. Found that if client installed and user has issues re registering the tm1prc.dll and tm1xl.ocx seem to help this. Problem being not all users have run command or c drive access due to security profiles.

Any help on what actualy gets registered or installed via the client would be gratefully recieved. Have asked the big blue what tm1p.xla is calling / using but have no joy or pointers.

Its a real shame as we have used TM1 via addin in a light foot print way for sooo many years - now am saddled with packaging testing and being unable to fix user connection issues without our IT overhead.

Thanks in advance

Phil
tosca1978
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007

Re: Excel addin issues 9.5.2 fp1

Post by tosca1978 »

I'm using 9.5.2 with FP1 and Excel 2007 - I had issues with stability in excel add in until I disabled the TM1 ribbon so that TM1 displays within the add-in's ribbon.

Have you tried this?
yorksmp

Post by yorksmp »

Yep we tried renaming the ribbon and it crashes excel for us. Should have mentioned that apologies.
Gabor
MVP
Version: [2.x ...] 11.x / PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Excel 2013-2016

Post by Gabor »

I have disabled the ribbon for our users when we moved to 9.5.1, however at least 1 hotfix did not allow this and caused Excel to crash.
We still use the renaming (.xlam.old) with 9.5.2 without issues ... Win7, Excel 2007 & 2010.
Oratia623
OLAP Product: TM1/PA/CA
Version: V7.x to 2.0.9+
Excel Version: All

Post by Oratia623 »

The TM1 ribbon is constantly chatting to the tm1p.xla to get things like button text and enabled/visible state, every time you move around the spreadsheet (as it checks (for instance) if that cell is in an Active Form or not).
This causes navigation delays as well as the horrid symptoms you describe - VBA runtime errors, button text disappearing, even the ribbon name disappearing.
Keeping the ribbbon loaded, but ensuring that you have another ribbon selected when you navigate throughout a spreadsheet can help.
Paul Williamson
____________________________________________________________________________________
I came. I saw. I did not concur.
yorksmp

Post by yorksmp »

Oratia623 wrote:The TM1 ribbon is constantly chatting to the tm1p.xla to get things like button text and enabled/visible state, every time you move around the spreadsheet (as it checks (for instance) if that cell is in an Active Form or not).
This causes navigation delays as well as the horrid symptoms you describe - VBA runtime errors, button text disappearing, even the ribbon name disappearing.
Keeping the ribbbon loaded, but ensuring that you have another ribbon selected when you navigate throughout a spreadsheet can help.
Hi thanks for the note. The ribbon functions ok for most users but normaly all descriptions are missing on the buttons - which isnt acceptable to our business users. Our issues then come from disabling the ribbon to get something acceptable to the end user and we runinto excel errors which are worse than the missing descriptions. If we could work out what the client is registering / installing that the xla needs that might help us iron out our clash with our users profile.

Regards Phil
IanB
OLAP Product: TM1 SSAS
Version: 9.5,10.2
Excel Version: 2010 2013 2016

Post by IanB »

I have also been using TM1 via Excel for Sooo long and have an established optimised build process based on the necessary client components

I can confirm that for a fully functioning TM1 Excel client, only 2 dlls need to be registered - you need to be local admin to do this
Here is an extract from my installation script
::Cognos TM1 ActiveX Control Module for Excel
regsvr32 /s tm1xl.ocx
::tm1prc
regsvr32 /s tm1prc.dll

::Optional - OLEDB for OLAP provider for TM1 - only needed if you want to point Excel directly at TM1
regsvr32 /s tm1dasrv.dll

In addition, TM1 requires the C++ 2005 Runtime library - you can download from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=3387
There are other installed components - but these are only needed if you want to deploy the advanced rules editor - which I don't!

Hope this helps

IanB
yorksmp

Post by yorksmp »

Thankyou Ian B

We have a little batch file for our users with issues to unreg and rereg those files. Wierd thing is that it works if user profile has run command and can see thier C drive but they def dont have full admin (client is installed on thier machines with admin btw). Hence we have been looking at our security profiles with IT but its kinda wierd - been investingating other things that might affect those files. But we still would like the dissable ribbon option to work - the runtimes we get imply the its the xla that is then missing something.

Will look at the C+ library part.

Cheers
ithomas21
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003

Post by ithomas21 »

Check that you don't have another Visual C++ Redistributable installed. If you have the 2008 version installed it can conflict with the 2005 version