Repoerting Cubes

tryinghard
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Repoerting Cubes

Post by tryinghard »

I have a cube by departments and all the departments are either Direct or Indirect. What is the best way to view this. I can think of 2 options:

1. Create an alternate hierarchy in the departments Dimension

2. Create another cube with the dimension Direct and Indirect and then source data in this cube from the cube with departments.

If I were to choose option 2 how do I consolidate 100 departments into Direct or Indirect, should I use a lookup cube or Attributes, if attributes then how would be the rule created. I have 4 other dimensions in the cube.

Cheers...
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Repoerting Cubes

Post by David Usherwood »

Alternate hierarchy seems the cleanest to me.
If you go the other route you'll need to create an 'exploded' cube dimensioned by both Departments and Direct/Indirect, break out the values and add them up again. Feeders will be quite heavy too. I have done this when I can't avoid it, but it's not pretty.
mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Post by mce »

In TM1, if you have two cubes with the same dimensions, except one dimension being different, and if you are required to transfer data from one to the other using rules, and assuming that there is a one to many mapping between the two, then (as far as I know) you have to create the mapping as a hierarchy in the source cube (meaning the elements of target dimension becomes consolidation elements in the source dimension) to be able to write the rule in the target cube. Moreover in order to be able to write the feeder in the source cube, you may also have to add the mapped elements of target dimension as the attributes in the source dimesion especially if you have multiple hierarchies in the source dimension.

This means that you will have to have the Direct/Indirect as consolidations in your source cube anyway, which may actually eliminate the need for another cube.
tryinghard
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by tryinghard »

Thanks for the response guys... cheers.