mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Dimension Re-Ordering

Post by mce »

Hi,

I have a cube in TM1 that holds about 1GB of memory and I feel that its dimension ordering is not optimal. When I try to re-order dimensions and test, it gives an error message and fails to re-order. It even causes to crash the whole TM1 server when I test a re-order. As a workaround it looks I need to recreate the cube with a better ordering of dimensions and re-transfer the data into the cube. Other than this option, would you recommend any other solution or workaround to this sort of a problem?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Regards,
Catherine
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 - PA
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Dimension Re-Ordering

Post by Catherine »

Hi,

What is the RAM available on your server? The crash may come when the server tries to reorder because he uses a lot of RAM to do this.

If the native reorder does not work, then your workaround seems OK. But if the cause is the one I mentioned above, you may have crash two if you keep at the same moment the old cube and the new cube.

Regards,
Catherine
mce
Community Contributor

Post by mce »

Ram is 4Gb in 32bit Windows. But it did not exceed a total of 3 GB at all.

Here is what I will do to implement the workaround:

- I will backup the rule text, .vue view files and data of the original cube.
- I will delete the existing cube, and recreate with the same name and with the original dimension order of the original cube (to have rules work as they are without modifying).
- Then before loading data into the cube, I will re-order the dimensions.
- Then I will add the original rule to the cube
- Then I will re-load data to the cube. And then SaveDataAll.
- Then I will restore views by copying the original .vue files to the data folder. Then I will unload cube to refresh the list of views from the data folder.

Does it sound ok?

Regards,
mce
Community Contributor

Post by mce »

The work around solution steps worked well.
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Post by rkaif »

You are on 32-bit and that is why you can not go beyond 3Gb.

I can think of another workaround for you.

Do you have other cubes as well in your TM1 server. If yes, then stop your TM1 windows service. Take out the other cubes files from the server data directory and then start the TM1 server. By doing this TM1 will only consume the RAM which is needed for the cube which you are trying to change the order. As you will be having more spare RAMA you will be able to re-order the cube.

Once reordering is done, then you can put your other cubes back in the data directory and bounce the TM1 service again.
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Do you have any string data in your cube? If you do, then you cannot move the last dimension in your cube. The element type (string or numeric) of the elements in the last dimension is what dictates whether a cell continues string or numeric data.

Though I think if are trying to reorder with this problem it will only give you an error. It shouldn't crash the server.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer