Blank vbCritical VBA Error - TM1 9.4.1 FP2

dludwig
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2007

Blank vbCritical VBA Error - TM1 9.4.1 FP2

Post by dludwig »

We are running TM1 9.4.1 FP2 on our servers and our clients have TM1 9.4.1.

Since we have upgraded, users randomly get a vbCritical Error message while using our Excel based reports. The message box that appears has no words, number or any other information on it. It is a totally blank VBA message box with the 'vbCritical' icon on it (red circle with the white X in it) with 'OK' and 'Help' buttons.

We use VBA as well as the TM1 API heavily on all of our reports and I have a feeling it is somehow related to the new version of TM1. Previously we were running TM1 9.0 SP3 for years and never had this problem.

Has anybody experienced this issue? If so, were you ever able to determine what causes it? It does not happen consistently and we have been unable to recreate it on demand.

thanks.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Blank vbCritical VBA Error - TM1 9.4.1 FP2

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hi

You state that Excel 2007 is your Excel version.

Can you replicate the problem in Excel 2003 (or one of your users)?

I have seen cases where the Excel 2007 ribbon is "demolished" when running a (basic) Excel VBA macro.

You get that error message for each icon in the TM1 ribbon group, you have to click OK each time. Do you get the message once or once for each icon?

After the error, the icons are still visible but the text is cut off for each icon.

Running the same macro when the TM1 ribbon is not active (take Home or Insert) works perfect.

So it seems all about updating the TM1 ribbon during a macro.

Do you see a resemblance over here?

Wim
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
dludwig

Post by dludwig »

I am about 99% positive that I have confirmed your post!!!

Our code to load the TM1 add-in was flawed and it was re-loading the TM1 add-in on every single excel report a user would open instead of just loading the add-in once on the first report they opened. I have fixed this flaw on a few of our reports and so far that error message no longer is happening. When I was able to recreate the error, sure enough all of the button in the TM1 ribbon were still there but all of the words were gone.

I will post another follow up once I have confirmed that this error is fixed by resolving our issue with loading the TM1 excel add-in.

thank you, thank you, thank you...you have no idea how many user tickets and complaints we have gotten about this error message over the past two weeks.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

You're welcome dludwig ;-)
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
dludwig

Post by dludwig »

We have gone a day and a half without the blank error message so it sure looks like this was the solution!

thanks again...
Trevor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.0

Post by Trevor »

Our code to load the TM1 add-in was flawed
How did you change this in your reports? Would you mind explaining how you did this?
Do you control the loading of TM1 other than through the native Add-In process in Excel 2007?

Thanks in advance
stex2727
OLAP Product: TM1

Post by stex2727 »

Hi Trevor,

I'm on 9.5.1 but had no end of problems with the TM1 Ribbon (no strike that the whole gawd forsaken excel ribbon). In 9.5.1 you can disable the ribbon by renaming the file tm1pRibbonX.xlam in the "C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\bin” directory to another name. You still get all the same functionality but the appearence of the buttons changes and it appears in a tab called addins. Still I prefer the smaller buttons and the stability is much better.

No if there was a way to stop the random excel lockups when closing excel before perspectives ......

Steve
Oratia623
OLAP Product: TM1/PA/CA
Version: V7.x to 2.0.9+
Excel Version: All

Post by Oratia623 »

Rather than disabling the ribbon, we have developed a workaround for the TM1 9.5.1 Excel 2007 ribbon that has been in production successfully for 6 months now.
It was fiddly to set up, as it required some up skilling in XML programming (though this is reusable for other Excel 2007 ribbon development), it cobbled some (in our case, unnecessary) functionality, but it is stable and it means that users get the ribbon experience as opposed to everything being hidden in the Add-Ins tab.

See my posts on
http://forums.olapforums.com/viewtopic. ... 68&p=16061
Paul Williamson
____________________________________________________________________________________
I came. I saw. I did not concur.