TM1 Help

Help!
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Client Version 8
Excel Version: 2003

TM1 Help

Post by Help! »

Good Afternoon All,

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

I am trying to upload debt to the debtors cube within TM1 however each time I run the cube's dimension (under processes) to start the upload TM1 crashes. The error message I am given is error opening file however I believe the error is because TM1 crashes prior to opening the file.

I have checked the file location and the file location is correct therefore I am unsure what is causing this. I have also tried uploading this file using different user names (I have tried the admin profile) and different computers and each time TM1 crashes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am unsure what to do next!

Thanks very much

S :-)
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 Help

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Are you running TM1 as a Service or as a local server?

If you are running as a service, logon the the box where the TM1 is running. Look under Services and see which account TM1 is running under.

That account needs to have access to the file.

Check that you can map a drive to the location where the file is, and then try opening the file.

That should verify that there are no access problems.

Check that no one has the file open.

I suspect that the TI process is unable to read the file, so your dimension is being emptied and that may be causing the server to crash.

Regards

Paul Simon
Help!

Post by Help! »

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your reply - it's really appreciated!

TM1 is being run as a local server I believe and nobody is in the file when I try to upload.

I have checked under processes and the link to the file is correct and opens the file.

Herman Moller

Post by Herman Moller »

Just to take Paul comments a step further.....

In your TI process the file you mapping to has 2 data source areas:

Data Source Name =

Data Source Name on Server =

You are logging onto your machine on TM1 Perspectives and not the physical TM1 box. Your TI would look the following in the data source tab.

Data Source Name = F:\Debtors.csv

BUT the same file needs to be accessed on the TM1 server box as it is a local server.

Data Source Name on Server = c:\Accounts\Debtors.csv

Eventhrough you CAN see the data source in the preview tab the TM1 server is not seeing the data source and bringing up a error.

Try copying the debtors folder to a generic location on the TM1 server and try and load the file. This should solve the problem.

HTH

Herman
Help!

Post by Help! »

Hi Herman,

The file is currently stored on the TM1 server and both the source name and source name on the server that are detailed on the data source tab are the same.

Is it still worth changing this and trying to upload from a different location on the TM1 server?

Thanks for your assistance with this - I will ban my boss from having any further holidays!!

Herman Moller

Post by Herman Moller »

I think its safe to say the file can stay in the current location. I think the problem could be somewhere else.

Is this a new process or a process that has been running for a while without a problem?

What TM1 version are you running at the moment?

Herman
Help!

Post by Help! »

Hiya,

The process has been running for a long time and normally works fine. I am unaware of anything that has changed that could affect this process.

We did have a problem a few months back where our shared server drive crashed and corrupted so we used a back up and switched to a different server. TM1 is a different server though so I can't see that this would be the problem.

It's TM1 client version 8.

Thanks very much for your help with this.

Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Do you know what the memory limits of your environment are?

If you are working on a 32 bit server then it will be 2 or 3GB.
It's possible that you are exceeding the memory limits of your set-up during the data load and this is causing the crash.
You can check how much the server is using in task manager.
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Help!

Post by Help! »

Hiya,

I don't know what they are Steve but I will have a look into it further.

If that is the answer then what would I need to do in order to resolve?

Thanks

Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

The short answer is wait until your boss get's back! To resize your server for memory issues is not a five minute job. There are three choices.
1. Hold less data - this usually means dropping histoy.
2. Have less funcitonality - Pick a bit of the system you don't use and delete it.
3.Look for efficency gains - Usually by tuning rules and feeders.

Not something you want to be getting into in a hurry....
You are running a local server, this means that the server is running on the same machine that you are launching the process from and the server name is "local".
When you launch the load you get a message saying that the file is not found and the TM1 crashes.
Which happens first?
When you say TM1 crashes do you mean the client or the server, if are running locally it's probably both.
When you launch the process do you right click and select execute? Double clicking is to open the process for editting and not what you want to do...
Is the path to the file local or network?

Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Help!

Post by Help! »

Wonderful - thanks very much for your help.

I will wait until my boss returns and then I will let him fix it I think as I don't want to break anything! My boss is back on Monday so I will update you as to what the problem was when he fixes it.......might be useful for future information.

Hope you all have a good weekend.