Transferring between services

scrummyd

Transferring between services

Post by scrummyd »

Has anyone ever managed to automate copying betwen TM1 services...

1. Turbo Integrator Processes
2. Subsets
3. Cubeviews
4. Application folders

either with TI process or excel spreadsheet (that is without having to take down the server)

:?:
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Re: Transferring between services

Post by ScottW »

Yes this has been done and yes there is a 3rd party commercial application that will do this for you
http://www.cubewise.com/vizier-91.php

Currently promotion of dimensions, subsets, attributes, processes and chores is supported.
Cube views and application entries in development.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Post by John Hammond »

Anyone tried using Cubewise's solution or know how much it costs? If a cubewise rep wants to PM me that's fine if that is within forum protocols.

It seems that you get the worst of both worlds with TM1.

If you copy a .pro into the TM1 directory - it will not load the new copy into memory.
If you accidentally DELETE a .pro from the TM1 directory - it removes the copy it has in memory !
(The accidental delete from TM1 directory seems to apply to any TM1 objects because I have also accidentally killed a subset directory and they disappeared from memory).

This is something that IBM could easily sort out since you are able to hot promote spreadsheets, but why not TI processes. :evil:
John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Post by John Hammond »

Does anyone know if IBM are planning to fix the requirement to bring the server down everytime you need to promote a TI. (All along with having to notify
users, last warnings and email comms etc etc)

It would be very simple to put a 'Refresh from disk' option on each TI process.

IBM this would be a collosal improvement in usability for very little effort.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

John Hammond wrote:Does anyone know if IBM are planning to fix the requirement to bring the server down everytime you need to promote a TI. (All along with having to notify

Not that I'm aware of. We worked quite closely with IBM when I was with a UK bank and were constantly moaning about this. The best we could hope for was getting some documentation on the API so we could write our own stuff - though that was slow coming too, in fact I'm not sure if it's arrived yet.

You're right, it's a pretty glaring oversight.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

John Hammond wrote:Anyone tried using Cubewise's solution or know how much it costs? If a cubewise rep wants to PM me that's fine if that is within forum protocols.

It seems that you get the worst of both worlds with TM1.

If you copy a .pro into the TM1 directory - it will not load the new copy into memory.
If you accidentally DELETE a .pro from the TM1 directory - it removes the copy it has in memory !
No it doesn't; I've checked that in 8.2.12, 9.0 and 9.5.

I deleted a couple, one which hadn't been opened in that session, one which had, and both came up (with their contents) as soon as I double clicked on them.

However what does happen is that if you delete the file and reboot the server, the server no longer has the file to load.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:
John Hammond wrote:Does anyone know if IBM are planning to fix the requirement to bring the server down everytime you need to promote a TI. (All along with having to notify

Not that I'm aware of. We worked quite closely with IBM when I was with a UK bank and were constantly moaning about this. The best we could hope for was getting some documentation on the API so we could write our own stuff - though that was slow coming too, in fact I'm not sure if it's arrived yet.
That sounds like a challenge... :twisted:

Perhaps I can look at modifying my new chore manager API add-in[1] to do that as well.

Of course Iboglix Support will now be crossing their legs and putting on the padded suits, because they can already see the support requests coming.
Theoretical future support request, translated from compiled diplomatic language to raw assembly code wrote:"The ****ing API documentation doesn't cover the SetBlahBlah function (naturally!, Like I'd expect anything else!) but when I call the GetBlahBlah function I get a TM1ValTypeString value capsule so WHY ISN'T THE %^%$ING WRITEBACK WORKING WHEN I PASS A CAPSULE OF THAT TYPE???!!!"
It's gonna be a blast to do, I can't WAIT!

(Well, yeah, OK, maybe I can...)

----------------------
[1] Which allows me to automatically bump my chores upon DST transition :D , but only works in 9.0 and higher :cry: . (Or at least, it doesn't work in 8.2.12 but does in 9.0. I don't care whether it works in 8.3/8.4, all I know is that I can't use it at the moment.) We're not going to get onto the later version in the next 26 days before DST ends, so I've got one more time of manually shifting them. :x
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

The entire hot promotion was a big thing that they were pushing at the Forum 2 years ago but all that talked seemed to have died (this was pre integration into C8 and planning). When we looked into the cubewise offerings I specifically asked the IBM reps that we were working with and it was indicated to me at the time that there were no plans to introduce similar functionality in the near future that competed with vizier. If that has changed or not in the last year is anyones guess.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

George Regateiro wrote:The entire hot promotion was a big thing that they were pushing at the Forum 2 years ago but all that talked seemed to have died (this was pre integration into C8 and planning). When we looked into the cubewise offerings I specifically asked the IBM reps that we were working with and it was indicated to me at the time that there were no plans to introduce similar functionality in the near future that competed with vizier. If that has changed or not in the last year is anyones guess.
Wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't. I can't fathom why (with the exception of single cell copy and paste) here still isn't functionality equivalent to Beachware / SPF copy and paste built in. It's been an obvious design oversight for ages.
-----------