TM1IPA.DLL is not found ?

hardstep
OLAP Product: TM1, EP, Powerplay, C8/C10
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

TM1IPA.DLL is not found ?

Post by hardstep »

Hi Folks
Anyone seen this error message : XQE-GEN-0010 Found an internal error: 'XQERuntimeException':
XTM-ERR-0003 The MDX query submitted to TM1 server failed during execution. The TM1 error code is: InvalidMDXExpression. The TM1 error message is: "tm1ipa.dll is not found".

I get this when trying to report against a TM1 cube with DQM ON, but not when DQM OFF.
Have tried various fixpacks incl. and upto TM1 10.2.2 FP3

Anyone seen this before or know how to fix ?.
Kind Regards
Nick
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1IPA.DLL is not found ?

Post by declanr »

Nick,
What BI version are you on? I can't remember the specifics but I saw issues previously in early TM1 10.2 (FP1 I think) where a bug stopped us being able to use DQM; I believe it actually turned out to be a BI fixpack that resolved the issue (after a full BI and TM1 uninstall/reinstall.)
Declan Rodger
hardstep

Post by hardstep »

Hi Declan
Hope you are well mate !.
BI version 10.2.2 with or without FP1 installed.
Nick
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

Probably not the same issues we had; I also don't think we got any useful error message... just didn't work.

Is it 32 or 64 bit tm1 client you have installed on your BI box? Could be that it wants the "other bit" dlls but I wouldn't expect it to work at all with or without DQM in that case.
And have you tried locating that dll and registering it on the BI server yourself?
Declan Rodger
hardstep

Post by hardstep »

Hi Declan
TM1 10.2.2 and BI 10.2.2 are both installed on the same server, so are using the same 64bit API.
Nick
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

I would certainly try installing the 32 bit client as well then.
Declan Rodger
blackhawk
Community Contributor

Post by blackhawk »

Well one of the easiest things to try (although, it should not require this) is to set the PATH environment variable to point to the location of the DLLs, then restart Cognos BI. This will ensure that if it needs DLLs that it will work.

If you still get an error saying it cannot load tm1api.dll, it is likely a missing dll. I thought this was fixed in later versions of TM1, but there were some earlier versions which would not necessarily install the full TM1 API set when the client was installed. You had to install the server version (even if you didn't use it) in order to get the full set of API dlls.

Sometimes just copying the DLLs from a TM1 server into a directory where the Cognos BI TM1 Connector is installed and then setting the PATH environment variables is sufficient. It doesn't require an actual install of TM1.

Again, this problem I have seen many times with later versions of 9.5 and earlier versions of 10. But I thought by 10.2 it was fixed during the install.

As a last resort, you can always download procmon from SysInternals and trace which DLL it is looking for. You will need to spin up the propeller on the beanie to go down that path. :)
hardstep

Post by hardstep »

Thanks BlackHawk !
The weird thing is that this TM1IPA.DLL (not a mis-spelling of *API.DLL) only occurs against a specific TM1 server, when I try and report against one of the samples it works fine.
I've tried installing a seperate BI server and connecting to that and I get the same error message !.
blackhawk
Community Contributor

Post by blackhawk »

Hardstep,

Woah. Totally missed that. TM1IPA.DLL???? Makes me think that it is a typo in a fix pack of sorts. What happens if you copy the TM1API.DLL to TM1IPA.DLL. Does it work?
BrianL
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

Are you running on Windows? There's a technote about some issues with environment variables on AIX. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21696855

I'm pretty sure tm1ipa.dll is used only to support DQM queries from BI. Since it only occurs against a specific server, are there any environmental differences? Same machine? TM1 running under the same user account? etc...

Since the error message is coming from TM1, I'd expect the path/file issue to be there and would not expect any BI changes to affect the issue.