OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.93
Excel Version: 2 0 94 7

Performance Implications of Dimension Reordering in Turbo Integrator Processes

Post by zbhmida »

Hi
Hi All,

Hope you are doing well !!!
I am writing to inform you of our problem when executing a Turbo Integrator process.

Below are the different operations we performed:

1.We have a Turbo Integrator that makes a copy within the same cube. In the source cube, we selected a consolidated level, and in the target cube, we load at a fine level. In the data tab, we use cell increment. We also parallelize with a RunProcess by launching several processes on different parameters (we use the Synchronized function). The execution of the processes takes 35 minutes. However, we noticed a significant increase in memory on the server (200 GB RAM).

2.We reordered the dimensions of the target cube (the system proposed a 42% memory gain). By running the same Turbo Integrator, we went from 35 minutes to over 5 hours of execution.

Is this normal? Does reordering dimensions on a cube normally result in such long execution times?

Best regards
Zied
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Performance Implications of Dimension Reordering in Turbo Integrator Processes

Post by Wim Gielis »

Difficult to say with this information but I know that efforts were made regarding RunProcesses in the latest versions.
What version are you using for the PA server ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
zbhmida

Re: Performance Implications of Dimension Reordering in Turbo Integrator Processes

Post by zbhmida »

Hi Wim,

Thank you for your quickly answer,

we are on cloud 2.0.93

Best regards,
Zied
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

That's not the full picture. You need the version of PA, not (necessarily) the version of PAW.
2.0.9 something probably
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

Hi sorry,

Yes we are using

best regards,
Zied
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Version 11.8.00800.5 ?

That is 2.0.9.9 from July 2021 and 3 years old.
Plenty of changes and fixes in the meantime. I would try upgrading first.
I also had issues with RunProcess and only in 2.0.9.19 it seemed solved.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

:!:
Okey i wil see for the upgrade

But juste fyi
We ve tried to run the process for one perimeter without runing the parallel TI and and unfortunately we have the same issue

That’s mean that the process takes longer than before the reordering :/

Thanks
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

"We have a Turbo Integrator that makes a copy within the same cube. In the source cube, we selected a consolidated level, and in the target cube, we load at a fine level."

Now, what is it, same cube or different cube ?
Not that it makes a lot of difference, but still.

If I were you, I would first look at why it takes 35 minutes to copy data. That seems like a long time.
Is it very heavy on rules and feeders ? How many dimensions ? Big dimensions ? Cache invalidations ? MDX subsets that are calculated over and over again ? The dreaded ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange=T in TM1s.cfg ? Etc.

First exporting to a flat file then importing again in a cube could also be possible (Bedrock TM1 has boilerplate code for that).
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

zbhmida wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:24 pm We reordered the dimensions of the target cube (the system proposed a 42% memory gain).
Why would you reorder to a worse dimension order?! When reordering the idea is to REDUCE memory footprint
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

Now, what is it, same cube or different cube ?
Not that it makes a lot of difference, but still.
Yes it is the same cube.
If I were you, I would first look at why it takes 35 minutes to copy data. That seems like a long time.
Yes i see it s too long but we have a lot of data on this cube ! and our problem is that after reordering we are far from 35 minutes :/
Is it very heavy on rules and feeders ? How many dimensions ? Big dimensions ? Cache invalidations ? MDX subsets that are calculated over and over again ?
11 dimensions, without rules, and yes we have 3 big dimensions, with an SKU dimension with 7 level

The dreaded ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange=T in TM1s.cfg ? Etc.
it s not the case we don't use this config !

First exporting to a flat file then importing again in a cube could also be possible (Bedrock TM1 has boilerplate code for that).
so we wanted to try something and the result is still disturbing,
we created a new cube with the order proposed by the system (after reorganization)

and there we noticed that the loading time decreased for example

1. old order: 2 minutes
2. new order: 30 minutes
3. New cube with new order: 10 minutes

so we see that the engine does not react the same with the physical order and the virtual order

Zied
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

lotsaram wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:27 am
zbhmida wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:24 pm We reordered the dimensions of the target cube (the system proposed a 42% memory gain).
Why would you reorder to a worse dimension order?! When reordering the idea is to REDUCE memory footprint

Hi lotsaram

we reordered the dimensions to gain RAM,

because before the reorder we have 200 GB on the cube and after reorder we went down to 110 GB

Zied
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

200 GB ? No rules and feeders ?

You don’t have to put the whole TM1 model in 1 cube.or are you recreating the DWH in a cube ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:10 am 200 GB ? No rules and feeders ?
Yes I understand that you are shocked, :? :shock: :o
and no the ropic is not to use a cube like a DWH ! but we have an SKU level.

We had a cube with 400 GB before.

So during our audit we were able to remove some dimensions and also we used alternative hierarchies instead of rollups to reduce RAM.

and as I said, we have arthmetic operations in the cube where we had to copy the data, we had 200 GB then we reordered the dimensions and you know the rest
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

Hello!

Returning to the original question: Yes, the case when cube reorder reduces memory but increases load/copy time (for some views/queries, not for entire cube!) is real. To understand this, you need to visualize cube data as a tree (this is how data is stored in TM1. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmjL-BYbHhc).

Having this, I assume that dimensions which are used at consolidated level in source view were moved from first ones to last ones in dimension order, am I right?
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

Elessar wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 pm Having this, I assume that dimensions which are used at consolidated level in source view were moved from first ones to last ones in dimension order, am I right?
8-) :idea: :idea:

Yes it is the case ! the main dimension that contains the conso level were moved to last dimension.

Thank s a lot,

IBM support ask to up grade the engine,
And like i said we ve created a new cube with the new Order and the copy takes less than before,

i will test after the upgrade !

Zied
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

zbhmida wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 pmIBM support ask to up grade the engine,
What a surprise :D
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

It's better to use OptimusPy rather than Architect's automatic dimension reorder: https://code.cubewise.com/open-source/tm1py/optimuspy/

When searching for optimal dimension order, it does not just minimize ram, but finds optimal balance between speed and ram
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

Elessar wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:42 am It's better to use OptimusPy rather than Architect's automatic dimension reorder: https://code.cubewise.com/open-source/tm1py/optimuspy/

When searching for optimal dimension order, it does not just minimize ram, but finds optimal balance between speed and ram

Hi Elessar,

cool I saw it on the internet i'll try to use it

Thanks a lots

Zied
zbhmida

Post by zbhmida »

Hi all,

and thank you again for your diffirent answers,

i write to you the comment of IBM for my case!

Code: Select all

Support IBM a commenté
Hi Zied,

Development responded on a previous case and confirmed this can be expected.

Re-ordering the cube dimensions completely changes our memory layout for the cube data. This can have a dramatic impact on both performance and memory footprint.

Our "Optimization suggest by System" feature only attempts to optimize for memory consumption and makes no attempt to optimize for performance. As the UI text suggestion, it is also only a suggestion and should not be taken as an absolute best ordering.

Best regards,
[/i]
Thank you
Zied