SAP BW as a data source in TM1 (PAL) - Cognos Integration server (CIS)

gabi

SAP BW as a data source in TM1 (PAL) - Cognos Integration server (CIS)

Post by gabi »

Hello,

I need some help to understand IBM roadmap on 'SAP BW connector' in PAL.

Over the years, we deployed SAP BW DS in TM1 using TM1 (10.2.2) Package Connector for several customers.
2 years ago, we tried to deploy CIS as SAP BW connector in PAL and had many issues so we abandoned CIS and moved to well known method of using SAP BW output files instead of CIS.
I also tried deploying TM1 PC 10.2.2 with PAL 2.0.6 and CA 11 - I also found much problems.

I know that IBM plans to replace CIS with new product as 'SAP BW Connector to PAL' but I don't know when.

We need to upgrade TM1 10.2.2 to latest PAL version for all 'SAP BW' customers but we need to consider CIS planned life-cycle as we need to invest much efforts and time to migrate TM1 Package Connector processes to CIS processes.

I doubt if it worth to invest on CIS migration even though we'll need to re-invest time to migrate CIS processes to planned new SAP BW interface in the near future.

I will appreciate your knowledge and experience sharing on CIS and your advise on TM1 version upgrade to 'TM1 Package Connector' customers.

Thank you,
Gabi Cohen
Gabi Cohen
Biconix International
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: SAP BW as a data source in TM1 (PAL) - Cognos Integration server (CIS)

Post by David Usherwood »

Surely you should ask IBM for their roadmap for SAP connectivity :shock:

One possible way forward would be to use TM1PY with a Python SAP library eg:
https://sap.github.io/PyRFC/
or (from SAP themselves)
https://help.sap.com/viewer/0eec0d68141 ... a7758.html
I have (fortunately) managed to minimise interaction with SAP over my working life so can't advise in detail.
Martin Krauss
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics (Cloud)
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2019

Post by Martin Krauss »

Hi Gabi,

we use CIS since 2018 to transfer data from SAP BW (cubes and queries) to PA on cloud, but also back to SAP BW (DSO).
In the past CIS had some functional restrictions and stability issues.
But since CIS version 10.2.3 FP2 IF5 most data transfers runs fine and need no workaround.

Best regards, Martin
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

We've had a few rough patches with CIS and use BW ODBC connection lately with a lot less friction :) That's for BW -> TM1, TM1->BW is still via file / staging database.