Advanced Rules Editor on PA

Jorge Rachid
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Advanced Rules Editor on PA

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Hi guys,

I am facing difficult to launch advacend rules editor on Planning Analytics version 2.0.8.

I read several things on internet, including here, but I didnot find a solution for it. The tm1p.ini on Applix does not have the line "AdvancedEditRules" and if I put that after closing and opening the file it is gone.

The Architect client version it is 64 bits. There is some on internet saying that it works on 32 bits version, but this is for version 10.2 I think.

Did anyone knows how to solve this problem?

I know that rules can be done on workspace, but I would like to use Architect on version 2.0.8 using the advanced rules editor.

Any helps?

Thanks a lot.
JR
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Advanced Rules Editor on PA

Post by Alan Kirk »

Jorge Rachid wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:35 pm Hi guys,

I am facing difficult to launch advacend rules editor on Planning Analytics version 2.0.8.
The Architect client version it is 64 bits. There is some on internet saying that it works on 32 bits version, but this is for version 10.2 I think.
If you're referring to this article, it may be branded for 10.2 but it applies to PA2 as well. Note the bolded part:
APAR status Closed as suggestion for future release.
Error description
When you set AdvancedRulesEditor to true, advanced rules editor should be launched when 'Edit Rule...' option is selected.
However, in the current implementation, selecting the option does not do anything. If possible, we should hide this parameter
in tm1p.ini for the install where 64bit excel exists or display an appropriate message indicating the Advanced Rules Editor is not supported for 64bit version.

Local fix
Use 32bit client install

Comments
No Intent to Fix.
How do I know it applies to PA2? Because the classic clients haven't changed since 10.2, and no further development work is being done on them. If it applies to 10.2, then it applies to PA2.

In a related post:
Post TM1 10.1.1 we are not actively supporting the advanced rules editor. It has been noted that it can not be used in 64 bit Perspectives/Architect. Customers can use the basic editor or use Performance Modeler
{Chokes on Corn Flakes...}
and it's editor.
Ooooor, better still... .xrus. Full access to Excel formatting, ability to store abundant meta information in the workbook, use of formulas, VBA, etc, etc... It's old school but it has still been my preferred option. Until recently at least. The only real downside of .xrus is that they lack any real autocomplete functions.

Something else that I now use does... Cubewise Arc. I am smitten with that thing as a TI editor. I will confess that I haven't used the thing for rules editing yet, but that's only because I've not needed to write any new rules since I licenced it. (And I can say this because I have no commercial benefit from mentioning it; I pay them for it, not the other way around. In fact when my company baulked at paying for it, I licenced it out of my own pocket as a developer, so useful do I find it.) The editor in PAW? Dunno. But I do know that Arc actually works without the idiocy of Docker and its ****ing connection string and PAW's insufferably convoluted installation malfunction. If you want something waaay better than the A.R.E. ever was? There's a 90 day free trial on it.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
TheEnforcer
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Post by TheEnforcer »

That is because the advanced editor has been deprecated. The only option available in architect / perspectives now is the original editor.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/advan ... ns-instead
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... m1_nfg.pdf (page 15)

Advanced Rules Editor (TM1 Architect and TM1 Perspectives only)
As of Planning Analytics version 2.0.7, the AdvancedRulesEditor parameter in the tm1p.ini file is
ignored. The Advanced Rules Editor does not launch in TM1 Architect and TM1 Perspectives, only the
basic rule editor launches.
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Hi Alan,
Tks for the reply.
I take a look and the last version with tm1 architect client of 32 bits was PA 2.0.4. In my case I use the version 2.0.8. Do you know if there is any problem on using the 2.0.4 client version as I have the 2.0.8 installed on server?
Thanks a lot.
JR
Alan Kirk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:08 pm

If you're referring to this article, it may be branded for 10.2 but it applies to PA2 as well. Note the bolded part:
APAR status Closed as suggestion for future release.
Error description
When you set AdvancedRulesEditor to true, advanced rules editor should be launched when 'Edit Rule...' option is selected.
However, in the current implementation, selecting the option does not do anything. If possible, we should hide this parameter
in tm1p.ini for the install where 64bit excel exists or display an appropriate message indicating the Advanced Rules Editor is not supported for 64bit version.

Local fix
Use 32bit client install

Comments
No Intent to Fix.
How do I know it applies to PA2? Because the classic clients haven't changed since 10.2, and no further development work is being done on them. If it applies to 10.2, then it applies to PA2.

In a related post:
Post TM1 10.1.1 we are not actively supporting the advanced rules editor. It has been noted that it can not be used in 64 bit Perspectives/Architect. Customers can use the basic editor or use Performance Modeler
{Chokes on Corn Flakes...}
and it's editor.
Ooooor, better still... .xrus. Full access to Excel formatting, ability to store abundant meta information in the workbook, use of formulas, VBA, etc, etc... It's old school but it has still been my preferred option. Until recently at least. The only real downside of .xrus is that they lack any real autocomplete functions.

Something else that I now use does... Cubewise Arc. I am smitten with that thing as a TI editor. I will confess that I haven't used the thing for rules editing yet, but that's only because I've not needed to write any new rules since I licenced it. (And I can say this because I have no commercial benefit from mentioning it; I pay them for it, not the other way around. In fact when my company baulked at paying for it, I licenced it out of my own pocket as a developer, so useful do I find it.) The editor in PAW? Dunno. But I do know that Arc actually works without the idiocy of Docker and its ****ing connection string and PAW's insufferably convoluted installation malfunction. If you want something waaay better than the A.R.E. ever was? There's a 90 day free trial on it.
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Even if I can install the 32 bits version?
That is not possible! It is awful only using the basic rules editor.
There should be a way to solve that. It is hard to believe that everybody that uses PA can not use the advanced rules editor.
Thanks
TheEnforcer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 pm

That is because the advanced editor has been deprecated. The only option available in architect / perspectives now is the original editor.

As of Planning Analytics version 2.0.7, the AdvancedRulesEditor parameter in the tm1p.ini file is
ignored. The Advanced Rules Editor does not launch in TM1 Architect and TM1 Perspectives, only the
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Even if I can install the 32 bits version?
There should be a way to solve that. It is hard to believe that everybody that uses PA can not use the advanced rules editor.
Thanks
TheEnforcer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Jorge Rachid wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:24 pm Even if I can install the 32 bits version?
Thanks
Did you know that Architect and Perspectives are replaced by / will be replaced by Planning Analytics Workspace and Planning Analytics for Excel ?
The former has its own rules editor containing autocompletion, colouring, etc.
Last edited by Wim Gielis on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »