TM1 is loaded but is not able to connect *URGENT*

BFranklin

TM1 is loaded but is not able to connect *URGENT*

Post by BFranklin »

Hi

I am hoping someone can transfer their mass amounts of knowledge and help me with this strange strange problem.

The Development Server was up and working last week. I made a rule change.The server crashed due to not enough memory. Restarted the server, decided the rule change was not right so changed it and saved again. TM1 Server crash etc.
Finally got it right after 4 Service Restarts (Yes we desperatly need real hardware!)

Anyway.

The next day after transporting the change to live I shut down the Development server and did a copy over from live to dev to update dev with the new data from live and restarted the Dev Service.

Now the problem starts. I have remoted into the Dev server and started the service. The service says it is started, the memmory ussage is where it should be. In the Server Explorer I can see my dev server. When I double click on it it pops up with the enter your username and password box. Problem is as soon as you enter your details and click OK it goes blank and locks/crashes and does nothing until you force the application to kill itself.

I have performed a new copy over, replacing all files in case something become corrupted.
I have removed ther service, uninstalled the application. Then instaled the application and service again.
I have cleared out all the TM1 related tempoary files incase something was corrupted..

No Change, still crashes.

Ideas?

Help Please...
Current Location: London
Current System: TM1 9.0 SP3 U9 32Bit
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1 is loaded but is not able to connect *URGENT*

Post by jim wood »

How did you copy over from production to Dev? Did you extract and load the data or did you copy over the .cub file? If it is later and not the former it may be to do with rules associated with the cube. It it is the former I'm sratching my head. If you have not tried the former, I suggest you do. This will help eliminate any cube / data / rule associattions. Also it lets you see how memory usage goes as add the data,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
BFranklin

Post by BFranklin »

I did it the same way Ive done it a thousand times over.

Copy and paste.

I thought something along the similar lines so backed up dev and completly removed it from the data directory. Copied over the entire of Live to dev (changing the config file) - and still the same problem.

Have also tried reinstating dev and no luck.
belair22
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express
Version: 9.5 9.4 9.1 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2007 2003

Post by belair22 »

A bit strange.

Could be either the data directory or TM1 the application.

Suggest clearing the data directory on the DEV server and restarting TM1. Should have a clean instance you can access - I'd suggest creating a few dummy users and logging in/out using these user credentials. If you can access without an issue then it's either the config file / the data directory you are attempting to use that's causing you grief.
BFranklin

Post by BFranklin »

Already tried that.

The data directory in dev currently is a fresh 'Offline' backup of live with the updated config file.
I have tried logging in with different user names. Both admin users and normal users, none get past the login screen (crashed on OK)

Have reinstalled the application and service.
So I have reinstated the application, services and data directory and it still hangs...hence my confussion. I was thinking it may be a server issue or a corrupted hidden file somwhere..but nothing has changed that I am aware of and I have replaced or deleted all of the TM1 related files..
Herman Moller

Post by Herman Moller »

Hello,

I would also suggest try the following:

Create a data directory which is empty, but just the has the TM1s.lic and tm1s.cfg files. Run up the empty server and see if you can log into this.

This will help you test to see if you can log into another tm1server without any problems. The problem could be the files you are copying over.

HTH
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Could it be that you are using the same tcp/ip port for both DEV and PRD servers?
(assuming both TM1 servers are running on the same machine)

Michel
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Michel Zijlema wrote:Could it be that you are using the same tcp/ip port for both DEV and PRD servers?
(assuming both TM1 servers are running on the same machine)
That's my guess too. Did you accidentally copy the tm1s.cfg file from dev to prod by any chance? That would duplicate port name and server name which, for obvious reasons, can't be done.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
BFranklin

Post by BFranklin »

It is 2 seperate boxes so having the same port number should not matter.

I created a TM1 directory with the licence file and config file from the dev data directory and started the server, this worked fine and I could log in and do everything as I should.

Shut this down and started up my dev servive and its a no go. I did a full copy over again and restarted, no change. I have just changed the port number and restarted the service again although I don't think this will make a difference since the test above worked on the original port number port:12345

The service apears to be running fine..but cannot log into it
Herman Moller

Post by Herman Moller »

Do you have the planning server install on the dev machine. It by default uses the port:12345.

Change the port number to something else and try again?
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Did the admin server get restarted in all your changes?

This kind of problem is almost always user error in the cfg file, if the server is visible and un responsive.
Maybe a chore is launching when the server comes up and blocking access?
Try deleting the client side ini files?
HTH
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

From the description of the problem my guess is that all files in the dev server data directory have been copied over including the tm1s.cfg file therefore although the server starts up fine once the server goes to connect to the admin host it is trying to do so using the same server name and port as the production server. As the production server is already registered the dev server can't register with the same name.

If this is the case the solution is simple, just edit the tm1s.cfg file and make sure that the server name and port are different from the production instance.

Edit:
Sorry got to this a little late, I replied from an RSS feed and didn't realise there were already a plethora of other posts dispensing the same advice. :oops:
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

BFranklin wrote:It is 2 seperate boxes so having the same port number should not matter.
Correct, but that is only half the story. If DEV is the only TM1 instance on this box then also check the config for "AdminHost=". If you copied the files including the config, you may have changed some but not all the necessary parameters and in your haste possibly overlooked that one. I usually leave it blank (or commented out) and that way it'll use the machine its running on. If that still says the PROD server in the DEV config then it could be causing your problem.

Also, don't underestimate the chance the new data is causing the amended DEV rules to not complete and cause this issue. I inherited a model that was fine until it got one dimension populated with real data, then the rule it had caused all sorts of problems.

Another slightly obscure one could be application objects. If you have any of those, turn them off before logging in. I've had issues when the server the files linked to via application objects was offline, and it took a very long time to login as it was trying to validate those links as i logged in.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Marcus Scherer »

If I understand your procedure correctly I suppose you need to copy your objects incrementally into your (almost) empty data directory and see which one causes the problem after restart. Start with the *.cub and *.rux, that you changed last.
BFranklin

Post by BFranklin »

Thanks for everyones help on this.

Update time.
Their is no problem with the port number as I can get a "dummy" server to run - Created by the config and licence files.
This used the config file from the dev data directory so that is fine. I can connect correctly here so my config file is good.

I have started removing random files and restarting the service to see if the problem is file associated and I think I may be onto something.
I have removed all folders from the data directory - Views and Subsets and the server started up and I could connect...SUCCCESS!

So now it is a matter of finding out the file which is causing the problem...
This is still strange since the data directory is a copy of live and live restarts every night with no problems.
monishapm
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

Post by monishapm »

Hi,

I am getting connected to TM1 Excel pesrpective when simply I am opening an excel 2007 file.

Pls help me to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Monisha
Jeroen Eynikel
Community Contributor

Post by Jeroen Eynikel »

BFranklin wrote:Thanks for everyones help on this.

Update time.
Their is no problem with the port number as I can get a "dummy" server to run - Created by the config and licence files.
This used the config file from the dev data directory so that is fine. I can connect correctly here so my config file is good.

I have started removing random files and restarting the service to see if the problem is file associated and I think I may be onto something.
I have removed all folders from the data directory - Views and Subsets and the server started up and I could connect...SUCCCESS!

So now it is a matter of finding out the file which is causing the problem...
This is still strange since the data directory is a copy of live and live restarts every night with no problems.
I would check security on the files as well. I had some problems recently and it took me a long time to figure out that it all had to do with copying files over the network and IT's new security policy which caused a number of files to become read only on the 'copied' instance. (Even if on the directory level access was as it was supposed to be)
Jeroen Eynikel
Community Contributor

Post by Jeroen Eynikel »

monishapm wrote:Hi,

I am getting connected to TM1 Excel pesrpective when simply I am opening an excel 2007 file.

Pls help me to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Monisha

You just need to deactivate TM1p.xla from the addin menu in excel. (look for add-in in the excel help file if you don't know how to do this)