How to achieve the first login to TM1web to modify the personal password?

fanych
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

How to achieve the first login to TM1web to modify the personal password?

Post by fanych »

hello,
How to achieve the first login to TM1web to modify the personal password
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: How to achieve the first login to TM1web to modify the personal password?

Post by Wim Gielis »

You log on with the password that was given to you, or with no password (if that's the case).
Check the box that states that you want to change the password.
TM1 Web will ask you the new password.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
declanr
MVP
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Due to there not being a way to force users to change their password on login automatically I have previously set up my own system when we were using mode 1 security and most users only had access to TM1 web.

A process would run every night and copy the encrypted password to an attribute against the user, it first checked if it was different from the night before if it wasn’t then another attribute (numeric) would be increased by 1. If it was different that attribute was set to 0.

Then in the client cube where the homepage etc is set there was a rule that said if the counter was 90 or higher (or if the password was blank) it would set the homepage as a custom webpage I had created where the user could set a password using a TI (this would also set the counter to 0) - there were also rules that locked the navigation pane to be closed so that the user couldn’t circumvent the password setting process. If that rule wasn’t triggered then the usual homepage etc would show up.

It was a simple method that allowed us to meet the security criteria of the company, we could have just implemented CAM security but the number of users was relatively small (100-200) and we didn’t want to have to deal with IT every time any security changes were required. In the end it did the job well and took very little time to implement.
Declan Rodger
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

I have also done something similar to what Declan has described. TM1 using the default TM1 security mode only allows you control for password length and days to expiry. But if you set up the Websheet password entry form then you can get a bit fancy with little effort and mask the input field and do some simple controls for password complexity (e.g. just use combination if MID & CODE formulas to check for existence of lower case, upper case, number & special character in the password) and only allow the TI to run successfully if the checks are passed.

That said for I think at least the last 4 or 5 years even for systems with small number of users we always now default to CAM + SSO.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
fanych

Post by fanych »

declanr wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:22 pm Due to there not being a way to force users to change their password on login automatically I have previously set up my own system when we were using mode 1 security and most users only had access to TM1 web.

A process would run every night and copy the encrypted password to an attribute against the user, it first checked if it was different from the night before if it wasn’t then another attribute (numeric) would be increased by 1. If it was different that attribute was set to 0.

Then in the client cube where the homepage etc is set there was a rule that said if the counter was 90 or higher (or if the password was blank) it would set the homepage as a custom webpage I had created where the user could set a password using a TI (this would also set the counter to 0) - there were also rules that locked the navigation pane to be closed so that the user couldn’t circumvent the password setting process. If that rule wasn’t triggered then the usual homepage etc would show up.

It was a simple method that allowed us to meet the security criteria of the company, we could have just implemented CAM security but the number of users was relatively small (100-200) and we didn’t want to have to deal with IT every time any security changes were required. In the end it did the job well and took very little time to implement.

Dear Declan Rodger,
Thank you very much for your help.It's a great way to do it.There is another problem, how to automatically return to login interface after the user has modified the password. :D
declanr
MVP
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

The action button to set the password is also used to navigate to another web page if the process completes successfully.
So they don’t need to login again but instead just carry on with the normal homepage etc that they would have seen anyway.
Declan Rodger
fanych

Post by fanych »

declanr wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:50 am The action button to set the password is also used to navigate to another web page if the process completes successfully.
So they don’t need to login again but instead just carry on with the normal homepage etc that they would have seen anyway.
thanks,I'll try it.
But I have a new problem.
Normal user execution process: "Execution was aborted. No Security Access for "AssignClientPassword"."
How can normal users correctly execute the process of modifying passwords?
orlando
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

fanych wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 am But I have a new problem.
Normal user execution process: "Execution was aborted. No Security Access for "AssignClientPassword"."
Hi,

you have to mark the "security access" for the process.
just right-click on the process, in the conext menu choose "Security Access". then it will work for your users

regards,
orlando
fanych

Post by fanych »

orlando wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 am
fanych wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 am But I have a new problem.
Hi,

you have to mark the "security access" for the process.
just right-click on the process, in the conext menu choose "Security Access". then it will work for your users

regards,
orlando

Thank you very much for your help. I have perfectly solved my problem.
fanych

Post by fanych »

lotsaram wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm I have also done something similar to what Declan has described. TM1 using the default TM1 security mode only allows you control for password length and days to expiry. But if you set up the Websheet password entry form then you can get a bit fancy with little effort and mask the input field and do some simple controls for password complexity (e.g. just use combination if MID & CODE formulas to check for existence of lower case, upper case, number & special character in the password) and only allow the TI to run successfully if the checks are passed.

That said for I think at least the last 4 or 5 years even for systems with small number of users we always now default to CAM + SSO.

Thank you very much for your help. I have perfectly solved my problem. :lol:
orlando
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

lotsaram wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm I have also done something similar to what Declan has described. TM1 using the default TM1 security mode only allows you control for password length and days to expiry. But if you set up the Websheet password entry form then you can get a bit fancy with little effort and mask the input field and do some simple controls for password complexity (e.g. just use combination if MID & CODE formulas to check for existence of lower case, upper case, number & special character in the password) and only allow the TI to run successfully if the checks are passed.

Hi lotsaram,

how do you mask the password? I'm thinking about the same solution discussed here. When i made tests i didn't find the perfect font to mask the password.

Best regards,
orlando
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

orlando wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 am how do you mask the password? I'm thinking about the same solution discussed here. When i made tests i didn't find the perfect font to mask the password.
The best way in Excel is just to set cell formatting to mask the text e.g. something like ;;;•••••••• or ;;;*•
However, this isn't supported by TM1web. So we are left with just formatting font color same as cell background or else setting the font of the entry cell to Webdings. Not too many people that are fluent in reading Webdings. Pretty low tech, but in keeping with the overall solution. ;)

Possibly with the latest version on TM1web offering better support for form controls maybe you could use a text box for the password entry and mask the text box with a cell linked to the textbox which was in turn linked to the TI parameter. I haven't tried as it has been a few years since I have done anything along these lines as linking security to AD is the way to go IMO.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

lotsaram wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:44 am Possibly with the latest version on TM1web offering better support for form controls
I just tried a Spinbutton in Excel, first Forms control, then Active X object.
Neither of them shows up in TM1 Web.
Do you have better experiences ?
I use Excel 2016 (Office 365) with PA 2.0.5
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

Wim Gielis wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:09 pm I just tried a Spinbutton in Excel, first Forms control, then Active X object.
Neither of them shows up in TM1 Web.
Do you have better experiences ?
I use Excel 2016 (Office 365) with PA 2.0.5
I'm not doing anything in TM1web lately. All UI is custom html apps using Rest API.
I'm only repeating what IBM are saying about the latest TM1web. Which specific type of controls that are now supported that weren't before I don't know. If you have a decent contact from Lab Services I would ask them.