Issues with new instance

yellowduck
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Issues with new instance

Post by yellowduck »

Hello all, I'm a new member to this forum (only joined today) and this is my first post so please excuse if mi miss any guidelines. Also, I'm a very new to TM1, my background is more infrastructure based then application :D

So here's what I'm stuck with. I have created another instance on our TM1 dev server. We're using version 10.2.2

We created a new config file which replicated the current instance on the dev environtment but edited the unique references that were referencing the other dev instance to point to the new one e.g CXMD > DEV2 and also ensured that the port numbers were different. When we do this we can see the new instance on the dev server and can log into it via Architect with username “admin” and no password. However, if we try and load the data from the other dev version (the DB directory) into the new instance, once we copy the data across the new dev instance we created disappears in Architect. The service does start successfully and there are no errors to say that it has failed.

I'm wondering is there something in the data that we are copying across that references the other version that we need to amend in order for it to work in the new instance? I did find a config file in the DB directory and the Config directory and have amended these both to have unique port numbers.

There is no firewall on the server to stop the ports from being blocked and the company firewall is not blocking this either. Any advice/help would be appreciated.
jwafro
Version: 10.2.2 / 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2010

Re: Issues with new instance

Post by jwafro »

have you copied the original config file over from the original model?
yellowduck

Post by yellowduck »

hi jwafro, yes i copied it over into the config folder and amended the config file with the new servername and port numbers
jwafro

Post by jwafro »

Ok, so the config file hasn't been overwritten when you copied the original db folder.
Your File locations have been changed as well, I presume?

Is your client - eg Architect/Perspectives looking at local server or have you specified the admin host IP address?
yellowduck

Post by yellowduck »

No, when I created the new instance. It created a new config file in the Config folder, I then amended the config file to change the directory locations as follows:

DataBaseDirectory="D:\TM1_Data\CXMD_DEV2\DB"
LoggingDirectory="D:\TM1_Data\CXMD_DEV2\Logs"
RawStoreDirectory="D:\TM1_Data\CXMD_DEV2\Logs\Audit"

So when I copy the data over from a backup (taken the night before) I am only copying the data from the DB folder from the other instance into the new one. I did notice that the DB folder has a config file in there too, so I amended the details in there to point to the new server instance.

p.s Architect on my machine is looking at the local servername
jwafro

Post by jwafro »

Someone stop me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can only have one local server running on a machine?

Can you check both config files for both versions to check that you have different values for
PortNumber=
HTTPPortNumber=

I know HTTPPortNumber needs to be different in 10.3

Is the main model on a different machine? If you do not set up the admin host section to look for the IP address you will not see it.

J
yellowduck

Post by yellowduck »

Hi jwafro, we've actually had 2 instances of TM1 running on one server (see attached).
The port number for the first instance is: 12342, 2nd instance is: 12344 and the system set the 3rd instance as port: 28308.

As for the HTTPPortNumber= ...I can't see this line in the config file, in all the instances.

We have the same on a live instance, where we have 2 instances on one live environment.

What I have just done is restore the data from the other smaller instance (FINDEV) and after waiting around 10mins after starting the service, the new instance shows under Architect. The data that I'm trying to get into the dev instance is around 40gb so I tried to copy this in and wait for the service in task manager to drop down as it was using high memory usage, but it just times out after around 10 mins :-/
Attachments
2018-06-12_152044.jpg
2018-06-12_152044.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

yellowduck wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm The data that I'm trying to get into the dev instance is around 40gb so I tried to copy this in and wait for the service in task manager to drop down as it was using high memory usage, but it just times out after around 10 mins :-/
In your first post you said the server started successfully and now you're saying it doesn't start, timing out after 10 minutes. Which one is it? Just because you technically "started" the service from Control Panel doesn't mean the TM1 server has loaded successfully, it just means the load process has started. Have you looked in the tm1server.log file for this new server instance to see what's happening? It should give you some clues. You could be out of memory on the server. 40GB is a lot of data. You gave us zero information about your environment so I have no clue.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

You can only have one local server running on a machine but local servers are increasingly rarely used.

You can, however, run as many instances/ servers/ models on a single virtual/ physical server (providing you have the license to do so)

I'm confused as to what you are doing, are you copying last nights backup into a new instance, spinning it up and then attempting to copy over the objects with the 'live' instance?

If so, then this may not be working because you will need to run a SaveDataAll on the server to commit the values from RAM to disk (and therefore then be available from those objects to be viewed).

The Installation and Configuration guide covers this and much more and is available here

If this isn't your issue then check the tm1server.log file in the LoggingDirectory for error messages

Also, do you have enough RAM to run these multiple models on the same server?
yellowduck

Post by yellowduck »

tomok/Edward, apologies for the delay in responding.

Ok, so i've managed to get the instance working now.

To answer a few questions, we have a backup job that runs everyday on the live/dev server that backs up the DB directory. I was trying to restore the data from an overnight copy.

Initially when i would start the service with the data in the folder the service would show as started in configuraation manager, but after about 10 minutes would stop.

The server is pretty well spec'd the drive with the data on it has around 500gb free space, it's got 2 4 core cpu's in it and running on server 2012 with 192GB memory.

What i found is that in the log it was failing when trying to load a particular cube which was around 17gb in size, there were other cubes that weren't required in the new instance, so i deleted these from the backup after extraction accumlating to around 15GB and then started the new instance service again, it took around 20 minutes to load all the data up but it finally managed to stay up and show up in Architect. I can now log into the new instance and see all the cubes (minus) the ones i deleted.

Oh and i also increased the MaximumViewSize to double what it was previously set (2000 to 4000) which gave it more memory to load. So now i have 3 dev instances running on one server, so all is good :-)

Thanks to everyone for the advice/help!