Sayonara, Copy Bin

David Usherwood
Site Admin

Sayonara, Copy Bin

Post by David Usherwood »

Those of us who need to support many versions of TM1 have found the pre-Paleocene 'copy bin' approach most helpful - save a copy of the bin folder from the relevant version and open tm1p.xla or tm1a.exe from that folder. Sadly I fear this approach may have encountered its Chicxulub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvarez_hypothesis) - after installing 10.2, I and others get errors such as this when running earlier versions of tm1p.xla. Architect is fine, and doing the reverse - using 10.2 bins on pre-10.2 installs - is also fine. Suggestions most welcome.
copybin952.jpg
copybin952.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Sayonara, Copy Bin

Post by Alan Kirk »

There was always a limit on how far you could push this, I think. Most likely you've been used to doing the bin copy thing for versions which are not too far apart. However when I was doing my upgrade from 9.0 to 9.5.2 the gap was too big for the bin copy approach, which truly was a pain in the backside. It didn't matter whether I had 9.0 installed and tried to use the 9.5.2 bin folder or vice versa, either way I would get errors. Not the same errors, but errors enough to prevent me from flipping between the two.

The 10.2 add-in has definitely been updated; certainly I've noticed things like the TWEVENTER1 macro no longer working. It may well be that the extent of the updates make them incompatible with earlier versions, just as 9.5.2 is with 9.0. On the other hand you may find that the method will work fine again with 10.3 or whatever in the future. Not that that helps you in your current situation, but the bin copy approach was always a kludge so it's more a case of "when it works, it's a blessing". It was never going to in all situations, though. I think the jury is still out on whether it's an asteroid or just a bloody great pterydactyl that mistimed its landing approach on the water.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

David Usherwood wrote:Suggestions most welcome.
Nothing earth shattering (ha ha as per your reference, couldn't resist). VM per major release with bin method for FPs and HFs.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

I gave up the bin copy thing a couple of years ago. I now have VMs of each version of TM1. If you do your config files in a certain way, you can have just the one location for the TM1 data files, and then via the host mapping in VM, spin up whatever version of TM1 you want to test those files on. Works perfectly and I don't have to worry about hosing up my machine with a bunch of DLLs floating around in various places.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/