TM1 10.2 Available for Download

stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Re: TM1 10.2 Available for Download

Post by stephen waters »

ThomasCS wrote:What is the future of Perspectives? It looks like CAFE is getting pushed as alternative towards endusers. But what with active forms and websheets and all of their flexibility from development side?
Thomas
I have had conversations with various IBM'ers and they seem committed to maintaining the the cell based, Excel interface which gives so much flexibility and ease of use. However, i think they will have rationalise the different front-ends at some stage. From the CAFÉ point of Ver 10.2 is a first release; my guess is that, at some stage Perspectives features will be integrated within CAFE; when and how I do not know.

Hope I am right!
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

stephen waters wrote:I have had conversations with various IBM'ers and they seem committed to maintaining the the cell based, Excel interface which gives so much flexibility and ease of use. However, i think they will have rationalise the different front-ends at some stage. From the CAFÉ point of Ver 10.2 is a first release; my guess is that, at some stage Perspectives features will be integrated within CAFE; when and how I do not know.

Hope I am right!
If IBM dropped Perspectives, we'd move to Palo. Call me a luddite, but all of these new interface experiments offer very little at the cost of tons of functionality. I wish the dev team would spend more time fixing all of the UX problems with the existing interface rather than throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks.
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
Olivier
Community Contributor
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Post by Olivier »

Hi All,

Getting started with Tm1 10.2...
While going through the manuals, we noticed that the section "Developing Custom Web Applications with the URL API" does not show up in the developer guide
as last seen on docs for TM1 9.5.2.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/ctm1/ ... witht.html

EDIT : and 10.1.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/ctm1/ ... yntax.html

Url API is no where to be found in the 10.2 documentations pdfs or online (EDIT : this section DOES also exist in Tm1 10.1 docs.).
Please, correct me if I am wrong...

Would it be right to assume that with Tm1 Web components being now Java based, one of the implication is that the "previous" TM1 url API becomes obsolete ?

I will have a chance to do some testing on it later on this week, I will post update on findings...
HTH
Olivier
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Olivier wrote:Url API is no where to be found in the 10.2 documentations pdfs or online and this section does not seem to exist either in Tm1 10.1 docs.
It's in the 10.1 Developer Guide, Chapter 8, page 133 of the .pdf version.

But that's a chapter which has been airbrushed out of the corresponding 10.2 manual. The last time I saw something like this it involved a disgraced Politburo member from the Soviet era who had fallen from grace and met with a stray bullet or 10 while on holiday in Siberia. You'd find the same airbrushing in past photos of May Day parades. ("There never was a Comrade WebAPI. I suggest that you not ask further questions, comrade.")
Olivier wrote:Would it be right to assume that with Tm1 Web components being now Java based, one of the implication is that the "previous" TM1 url API becomes obsolete ?
Can't be, this is IBM we're talking about. In line with their fine customer communication policies they would doubtless have mentioned such an application-breaking change in the New Features Guide, would they not? Or is that like other Soviet era documentation, it only contains that which glorifies the party? For certainly there is no mention that I can find of such a change in there.

(Translation: It's looking that way but they're probably hoping that few enough people used it for it to go largely unnoticed.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Olivier wrote:Url API is no where to be found in the 10.2 documentations pdfs or online (EDIT : this section DOES also exist in Tm1 10.1 docs.).

Would it be right to assume that with Tm1 Web components being now Java based, one of the implication is that the "previous" TM1 url API becomes obsolete ?
I would hope not! The TM1 Web URL "API" is fairly generic linking to objects such as views and websheets either by name or object ID. Such a concept would work regardless of the underlying web server technology. BUT although there would be no reason why it can't work of course IBM would have to have done the work and re-developed from scratch the handling of URL API calls given the underlying engine is new and rewritten. I don't have 10.2 installed yet to test on but I hope this work has been done! There are a lot of TM1 Web applications at large customers that rely extensively on the URL API to hyperlink and contextually navigate. I think it would be a major shoot in foot and egg on face moment if IBM neglected this.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

lotsaram wrote:
Olivier wrote:Url API is no where to be found in the 10.2 documentations pdfs or online (EDIT : this section DOES also exist in Tm1 10.1 docs.).

I would hope not! The TM1 Web URL "API" is fairly generic linking to objects such as views and websheets either by name or object ID. Such a concept would work regardless of the underlying web server technology. BUT although there would be no reason why it can't work of course IBM would have to have done the work and re-developed from scratch the handling of URL API calls given the underlying engine is new and rewritten. I don't have 10.2 installed yet to test on but I hope this work has been done! There are a lot of TM1 Web applications at large customers that rely extensively on the URL API to hyperlink and contextually navigate. I think it would be a major shoot in foot and egg on face moment if IBM neglected this.

The URLs still work perfectly fine in 10.2

One issue is that if you use an existing service you need to "convert" all of the websheets to the required format (this is easy, you just right click on the applications folder and job done)... however it changes the name of all of the websheets... so links to them will no longer work until you update it.

I went to test it with an application that has a LOT of websheets and every single page links through to a load of other pages, needless to say I aint updating them manually!
When I get around to it I will create a little macro to open them all up and change all worksheet references, hyperlinks & action buttons from old names to new names... but when I will get around to it is at the moment unknown.
Declan Rodger
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Hi All,

Thanks all for your feedbacks, and quick test Declanr :)

Note : I edited my original post to avoid confusion about 10.1 ( url api is still documented there and is similar to 9.5...).

I was provided with this link which details major changes with TM1 10.2 web / FAQs .
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... RXT&mync=E

I am a bit confused between Delanr test and feedback and the bottom section "How do you display TM1Web 10.2 cubeviews and websheets by invoking a URL?"...
and the mention that additional functionnalities will be available in future upgrade pack...( I am mainly concerned about the parameter passing to title selections via the url).
The URL syntax is different in TM1Web 10.2. In the GA version, you are able to display both cubeviews and websheets via a URL. Additional functionality will be available in an upcoming fix pack.
Can't wait to get started with testing...
Comme Saint Thomas, je ne crois que ce que je vois ;)
HTH
Olivier
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Olivier wrote:I was provided with this link which details major changes with TM1 10.2 web / FAQs .
What a coincidence that that should suddenly show up. :lol:

Interestingly I was just reading the IBM notification about that as your post appeared.
Olivier wrote:Can't wait to get started with testing...
Wouldn't mind myself but I still can't download it. My rep has advised that we still have the entitlement to do so (we should do, after paying that many $$$$$$$) but clearly something is borked with my account's access. Unfortunately that means that it has been transferred into the hands of IBM "Customer Care", a greater misnomer I have yet to encounter. (At least for the outfit operating out of Singapore that handles this part of the world.) They hardly ever seem to get it (whatever "It" the issue, happens to be at any given time) and if they do seem to get it never want to seem to do anything about it. Still, I got an automated e-mail from them 22 hours ago, that should count for something, right? :roll:
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Alan Kirk wrote:
Olivier wrote:Can't wait to get started with testing...
Wouldn't mind myself but I still can't download it. My rep has advised that we still have the entitlement to do so (we should do, after paying that many $$$$$$$) but clearly something is borked with my account's access. Unfortunately that means that it has been transferred into the hands of IBM "Customer Care", a greater misnomer I have yet to encounter. (At least for the outfit operating out of Singapore that handles this part of the world.) They hardly ever seem to get it (whatever "It" the issue, happens to be at any given time) and if they do seem to get it never want to seem to do anything about it. Still, I got an automated e-mail from them 22 hours ago, that should count for something, right? :roll:
Alan, you'll be pleased to hear that they have obviously listened to customer gripes about files sizes, so they're offering a "TM1 10.2 Client" download that's a mere 1.2GB (down from a full x86 tar.gz of 2.7GB). Progress!
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

Olivier wrote: I am a bit confused between Delanr test and feedback and the bottom section "How do you display TM1Web 10.2 cubeviews and websheets by invoking a URL?"...
and the mention that additional functionnalities will be available in future upgrade pack...( I am mainly concerned about the parameter passing to title selections via the url).
In all fairness my testing was quite generic, I just trusted that when a =Hyperlink() formula allowed me to get to another websheet without any issues that the URL functionality wouldn't have changed full stop.

I do however have extra tests around the URL functionality on my to-do list, this list is currently targeted to be finished circa June-2016 :cry:
Declan Rodger
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Thanks for the feedback Declanr.
I should have some more specific tests done by the end of the week on that subject...stay tuned :)
HTH
Olivier
ThomasCS
Version: Since 9.5
Excel Version: All

Post by ThomasCS »

Olivier wrote:Hi All,
I was provided with this link which details major changes with TM1 10.2 web / FAQs .
Thanks for this link it answered lots of my questions it still had about the new TM1 web.
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

ThomasCS wrote:
Olivier wrote:Hi All,
Thanks for this link it answered lots of my questions it still had about the new TM1 web.
Seconded... I had noticed the wingdings 2 issue as I tend to use it to get nicely formatted Ticks & Crosses in my workflows but I didn't think it would be a big enough issue to complain about but it looks like someone else already put it on the radar!
Declan Rodger
jim2011
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jim2011 »

I usually run TM1 Applications on my BI's Tomcat server. I notice during the TM1 10.2 step to export the Tomcat compatible WAR file for TM1 Applications that there are now two new WAR files created as well, pmhub.war and tm1web.war. I'm assuming this means that TM1 Web can be run on the BI Tomcat instance as well. Is there any additional configuration needed to for integrating the BI Tomcat's TM1Web with TM1 Applications or other items? Additionally what is PM Hub?

I've gone through IBM's documentation on TM1 10.2 and can't find anything on TM1Web and PM Hub having WAR files. I also googled the war file names to no luck. IBM needs to step it up with their documentation.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v ... mples.html)
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

jim2011 wrote:Additionally what is PM Hub?
It's server maintenance tools like Operations Console and whatever they are planning to add in the future.
Kamil Arendt
skinners666
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 10.0

Post by skinners666 »

PM Hub currently hosts the service components for Ops Console, CAFE and the new mobile contribution app.
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Hi All,

Quick update,
TM1 10.2 test install done but did not have a chance to get into advanced testing i.e. url api still not tested...
The install was relatively straight forward.

We had a challenge with port configuration due to some left over from a previous install see this documentation section :
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v ... sfile.html
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services

This file contained customised port settings from a previous install and prevented the Admin server to register the sample server instance.
(Log repeating Notifying Admin server every 10/15 seconds).

Neitehr the previous version un install nor the 10.2 install did update this file. ( Chnage in Cognos configuration will not update this file either hence the documentation note).

Have a good week end :)
HTH
Olivier
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Hi All,

Quick update,
We did some basic test on TM1 url api and as suggested in the FAQ document, the websheet and cube views works fine but we could not get title selection parameters to work.
The URL syntax is different in TM1Web 10.2. In the GA version, you are able to display both cubeviews and websheets via a URL. Additional functionality will be available in an upcoming fix pack.
We did lodge a support request with IBM to get a view on when the full url API will be available...
HTH
Olivier
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

Anyone else got issues getting in to Passport (dis)Advantage? i needed some more packages today but every attempt to log in has left me with a 400 bad request error...
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

Steve Vincent wrote:Anyone else got issues getting in to Passport (dis)Advantage? i needed some more packages today but every attempt to log in has left me with a 400 bad request error...
Nope. Today it's working for me, for a change.
Kamil Arendt