TM1 Error: No TM1 Databases containing TM1 Workflow data...

EddyR
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007

TM1 Error: No TM1 Databases containing TM1 Workflow data...

Post by EddyR »

Hi,

I am trying to use TM1 Workflow for the first time to experiment with it. I Installed it, opened Perspectives with the Workflow add-on, connected to the Planning Sample server (which is supposed to be suited for Workflow experimenting according to IBM documentation), and clicked on the Admin button of the TM1 Workflow tab. I get following error message:
"No TM1 Databases containing TM1 Workflow data are available. Please connect to the appropriate TM1 database."

I found no help in the installation guide and the only thread I found on a similar problem was not really helpful either.

From what I understood sofar it has to do with the fact that some files are not located in the correct directory. However it is not clear to me which files I should move and where. When I uninstalled and reinstalled Workflow, I tried to change the installation folder, but this was not allowed, I could not select or fill out another folder than C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1_64, where my TM1 is installed.

I am using TM1 V10.1.1 64 bit and Excel 2007, all on a local machine.

Any help is appreciated.
Olivier
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Re: TM1 Error: No TM1 Databases containing TM1 Workflow data

Post by Olivier »

I am in the early days of testing TM1 10.1.1 and I have the same confusion at the moment.
( Attempted exactly the same exercise, use workflow on planning sample to have an idea of how it is operating...)

I will relook at it next friday, we could share our findings in this post...
HTH
Olivier
EddyR

Post by EddyR »

I have been looking a bit more to find out what's the problem. Here's some bits and pieces of info, don't know how helpful they are.

On the positive side, the installation of Workflow appears to be without errors according to the log. In my Start/TM1 folder I have now TM1 Workflow excel add-in, which I can start. It is Excel with both extra Perspectives and Workflow tab.

But when I read the documentation apparently some things are still missing.

The TM1 V10.1.0 Workflow Administrator Guide refers on chapter 1, page 2 (Starting the TM1 Workflow Service) to a Connect button on the workflow toolbar. There is no such button in this toolbar now, only in the Perspectives toolbar. Connecting via the Perspectives toolbar to the Planning Sample server does not remedy the problem.

Also, in another topic regarding a similar problem, I found a reference to a folder C:/Program Files/Cognos/TM1/Custom/TM1Data/TM1 Planning Manager V2 which should have been created during Workflow installation. Apparently, copying the contents of this folder to the TM1 PlanningSample server folder should resolve the problem. Unfortunately there is no trace of this folder anywhere in my TM1 folders.
kangkc
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA , TMVGate
Version: 2.x
Excel Version: 36x

Post by kangkc »

You will need to setup all the workflow related cubes, processes before starting to administer and configure the workflow. You will just need to copy from the provided TM1 workflow objects (cubes, dimensions, processes) to your sdata folder.
I can't really recall where the installation of workflow place the objects but just look under the installed folder and you should be able to find a set of folders containing the required workflow objects.
eangarit
OLAP Product: Tm1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2008

Post by eangarit »

Exactly. Just copy the objects required for tm1 workflow to work on the server. They are in the location where tmworkflow was installed. I do not know the locations on top of my head. But this the step uou are missing to make all the tm1workflow control cubes to be loaded in the tm1 server.
I will try to dig and post more details.
EddyR

Post by EddyR »

Looks like it works now. I will play around a bit with it to see if I come up with more problems. At least now I no longer get the errror mentioned in the header, and I can start working on the workflow, as I have access to the TM1 Workflow Administration Console and can define a workflow process.

What did I do to make it work ?
As it was not quite clear to me which objects I needed to copy to the Planning Sample server directory on which I want to experiment, I made in MS Word a Compare of the directory structure of my main TM1 folder before and after I installed Workflow. I noticed that apart from some files on main level, also one directory was added: Database. I copied the complete contents of this directory in the Planning Sample directory (after taking a backup of course) and started the Planning Sample service again. And when I now start the Workflow excel add-on and Connect to the Planning Sample database, I can define a process etc, no more error !

I must say I am disappointed that this is not described more clearly in the documentation to install TM1 Workflow, and I'm surprised to see that not more users have this problem.

Anyway, thanks all for helping out, been struggling with this for far too long. Just hope more users can benefit from the post.