declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

TM1 10 Dynamic Subsets in TI Source View

Post by declanr »

All,

Just having a little oddity occur for me and wondering if anyone else noticed the same.

I create a view for the source of a TI and choose an "mdx level 0" subset for each of the dimensions (or some of the dims its irrelevant). I save the view and progress... the TI is fine and does exactly what is expected. However if I go back into the TI and open up the view from the datasource tab... all the dimensions say "unnamed" instead of "mdx_level_0".

If I do a similar task but instead select a static subset it will stay as the named subset for the view.

This is no real issue for me as normally I create my datasource within the prolog tab anyway, I am just being lazy for a demo.
I as yet haven't tested to see if the view is actually still holding a dynamic subset and just not admitting it or if (as I expect) it is just holding the elements that were within the subset at the time I saved it.

I think this could be a bug but thought I would submit it in this forum just in case I am missing something blindingly obvious...

TM1 10.1
Local Install

Most importantly... doing the exact same thing it works for static subsets just not dynamics (mdx)
Declan Rodger
declanr
MVP

Re: TM1 10 Dynamic Subsets in TI Source View

Post by declanr »

Just checked with creating a view via the cube viewer.
When I re-open the saved view (with 1 dynamic subset), the dynamic subset is still there as expected.

Yet when I look at the view by expanding views under the cube it (instead of having the subset name) has the "unnamed" equivalent of "all".
When I open this view via the TI datasource it states that the selection of elements is "unnamed" rather than the subset name.
Declan Rodger
ps_in_atl
Version: 10.1.1 x64_MS Server 2008
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by ps_in_atl »

Declan, did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem.
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

I didn't get this resolved, it seemed to just be how the subsets appeared as opposed to what the actual selection was so I just put up with it.
In all honesty I sort of forgot about it so didn't put a ticket in with IBM.

I haven't installed the fixpack yet which came out a few days ago, would be interesting to see if that sorts it out. Have you patched up yet?
Declan Rodger
ps_in_atl

Post by ps_in_atl »

So the subset and it's view are remaining dynamic, and it's just a GUI bug? Good to know.

I haven't patched yet, but I'll try to today. Honestly, just installed 10.1 for the first time on Monday so I'm just now running into these issues I'm sure everyone else has already experienced.

Thanks!
ps_in_atl

Post by ps_in_atl »

Just patched. And unfortunately still having the issue, so it's not resolved in this first Hotfix.
moby91
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

What happens when you add the optional parameter "UseLocalCopiesforPublicDynamicSubsets=F" to your TM1 server configuration file tm1s.cfg and restart your TM1 server ?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... bsets.html
Cognos TM1 New Features Guide 10.1.0 > Cognos TM1 >

Improvement to Dynamic Subset metadata refresh

Due to performance improvements gained by the implementation of Parallel Interaction, Dynamic Subsets performance has also been improved.

Dynamic Subsets have the potential to cause blocking due to metadata refreshing that often accompanied their use. Now Dynamic Subsets can refresh their content in parallel, thus reducing potential locking situations.

See "UseLocalCopiesforPublicDynamicSubsets" in the Cognos TM1 System Configurations chapter of the IBM Cognos TM1 Installation and Configuration Guide.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... _op_1.html
Cognos TM1 Installation and Configuration Guide 10.1.0 >

Appendix B. The Tm1s.cfg Server Configuration File

UseLocalCopiesforPublicDynamicSubsets

Allows public dynamic subsets to improve performance and reduce locking by using local copies of the subset when possible.

By default, or if the parameter is not present in the tm1s.cfg file, UseLocalCopiesforPublicDynamicSubsets is enabled. To restore the earlier method of saving Dynamic Subsets, set this parameter to F.

Parameter type: optional, static
ps_in_atl

Post by ps_in_atl »

Doesn't that have to do only with the saving of the subsets themselves? And not assigning the subset to a view, which is the problem we're having?

Regardless, I'll give it a try and report back.
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

We had issues with dynamic subsets however FP1 appears to have fixed these issues for us. When I look at views with dynamic subsets I see the names as expected. Prior to FP1 we saw unnamed and worse for us was that they were static.
andre lie

Post by andre lie »

I think FP1 solves this issue on Perspectives and TM1 Web clients. However dynamic subset does not work on Cognos Insight client.
jameswebber
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos Express 10
Version: CE 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jameswebber »

We are having this issue in CE 10.1.

Just wondering if anyone out there has a workaround since the FP1 is not available until Oct.
jameswebber
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos Express 10
Version: CE 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jameswebber »

I found the Cognos Express 10.1 full fix pack 1 fixed this issue
So try downloading fix pack 1 released 3rd dec
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentr ... nction=all