Any idea if 64-Bit Excel Perspective client is available?

harrytm1
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: Latest version
Excel Version: 2003 to 2019

Any idea if 64-Bit Excel Perspective client is available?

Post by harrytm1 »

Hi all,

any news if IBM is releasing 64-bit Excel Perspective client? Now that Windows 7 64-bit is very common, and MS Office 2010 is available in 64-bit, it makes sense to leverage on the additional processing power to speed up TM1-Excel file loading and processing.
Planning Analytics latest version, including Cloud
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Any idea if 64-Bit Excel Perspective client is available

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

i don't thing that 64bit client-software make that much sense, but nevertheless infact that tm1 doesn't support excel 2010 it also doesn't support excel 2010 64bit (64bit is not twice as fast as 32bit..)

maybe i'm wrong, but excel2007 has no 64bit version so..

i'm sorry.
but maybe you have luck and i'm wrong.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

harrytm1 wrote:Hi all,

any news if IBM is releasing 64-bit Excel Perspective client? Now that Windows 7 64-bit is very common, and MS Office 2010 is available in 64-bit, it makes sense to leverage on the additional processing power to speed up TM1-Excel file loading and processing.
Win 7 x64 may be getting to be quite common but not so x64 Office. Also Perspectives has a very old legacy code base which I think still includes quite a few old XL4 macros. A 64 bit version of Perspectives would probably require a major re-write probably as a COM add-in, I don't think it is something we are likely to see any time soon.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

lotsaram wrote:Also Perspectives has a very old legacy code base which I think still includes quite a few old XL4 macros.
All the more reason to get it up to date!
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:
lotsaram wrote:Also Perspectives has a very old legacy code base which I think still includes quite a few old XL4 macros.
All the more reason to get it up to date!
Not necessarily. Hard as it is to believe there are some things that you can't do in VBA that you still have to resort to old school Excel 4 macros for, though they're probably the more esoteric kind. Getting an accurate list of loaded workbooks (including add-ins) is one that I know off the top of my head because it's useful if you need to scan to see whether a particular add-in is loaded, regardless of how it was loaded.

Code: Select all

Sub OneReasonWhyWeNeedXl4Macros()

Dim wbk As Excel.Workbook
Dim xlai As Excel.AddIn

Dim l_Xl4Count As Long, l_Xl4Idx As Long

'TM1p.xla (for example) probably won't be in this list depending on how you loaded it.
For Each wbk In Application.Workbooks
    Debug.Print wbk.Name
Next

Debug.Print "----------------"

'It may be in this one, but tm1.xla won't because of the way it's loaded.
'And some .xlls may be as well.
For Each xlai In Application.AddIns

Debug.Print xlai.Name & vbTab & xlai.Installed

Next

Debug.Print "----------------"

'If you want the *accurate* list of actual workbooks that are open including .xlas,
'you need to go old school.
l_Xl4Count = Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro("Columns(Documents(3))")

For l_Xl4Idx = 1 To l_Xl4Count
    Debug.Print Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro("Index(Documents(3)," & l_Xl4Idx & ")")
Next

End Sub
I know that there are a few others but I'd have to scan through my code libraries to find them.

However I have to agree with Martin E; Harry is proceeding from a false assumption. I doubt that 64 bit client will make a blind bit of performance difference at this stage for most TM1 applications.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.