Object library invalid or contains references to...

par3

Object library invalid or contains references to...

Post by par3 »

Hallo Guys and Gals

I recently re-installed Excel 2007 and 2003 and is using Cognos TM1 9.4.1 FP002.

When I open Perspectives in either one of the 2 Excel versions I get the following error message.

"Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found."

And thus Perspectives does not load.

This is quite urgent because although I can work in Architect and need to create some reports in Excel and as we know that is not possible using Architect.

Can anyone please help!!!!???

Thanks!
Attachments
Error.JPG
Error.JPG (130.24 KiB) Viewed 21204 times
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Object library invalid or contains references to...

Post by Alan Kirk »

par3 wrote: I recently re-installed Excel 2007 and 2003 and is using Cognos TM1 9.4.1 FP002.

When I open Perspectives in either one of the 2 Excel versions I get the following error message.

"Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found."

And thus Perspectives does not load.

This is quite urgent because although I can work in Architect and need to create some reports in Excel and as we know that is not possible using Architect.

Can anyone please help!!!!???
If I were to uninstall Excel on a machine I'd be inclined to uninstall and reinstall Perspectives as well. It may not always be necessary, but better safe than sorry. My bet is that that would cure the problem.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Post by rkaif »

Yes, Alan is right...you are getting this error because Excel is unable to find TM1 pluggins/library/DLLs etc

Re-install the Perspectives and that should help
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
par3

Post by par3 »

Guys,

I have reinstalled Perspectives close to a hundred times now after i reinstalled my Excel!

Still no luck! :-(
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

par3 wrote:Guys,

I have reinstalled Perspectives close to a hundred times now after i reinstalled my Excel!
OK, next steps.

Clean out yout Temp directory. You can access this by typing %Temp% in the address bar of Windows (not Internet) Explorer. You won't be able to delete everything (some files will be in use), but delete all that you can. Bloated temp dirs can cause havoc with Excel.

More specifically I'm suspecting a corrupted .exd file which is known to cause that error message. (.exds, but not the message, are described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290537). If cleaning out the Temp dir doesn't do it, do a FULL search (including hidden and system files and directories) and blow away every .exd you can find. (As per the KnowledgeBase article, the files will be recreated on demand so there's no harm in doing that.)

Obviously do that with Excel closed and ideally Perspectives uninstalled.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
par3

Post by par3 »

Allan,

You da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This actually works! I owe you beer and lots of it!

Thanks alot!
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

My test box has just had a revised package for Office 2010 installed (originally Office 2003) and i had the same issue. The temp files made no difference but 1 EXD file existed & after deleting that all was fine again. Anyone changing versions of Excel who isn't having a clean OS installation would be wise to remove all EXD files before trying to use TM1. Its not just TM1 it affects either, probably most add-ins will get hit by it.

Nice one Alan, i'd never have found that without this post and it'll help our IT mob deploy O2010 to over 40,000 machines with slightly less headaches :D
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
petec
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by petec »

I am doing some testing with Excel 2010 and I am getting the "Excel library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found".

I uninstalled and reinstalled TM1. Tried again - no good
Deleted what I could in %temp% and cold not find a *.EXD file in C drive - still no good.

Do you remember making any other changes to get it to work?
jason
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: Excel 2003

Post by jason »

petec - Is it possible you're trying to use Excel 2010 with TM1 9.4? I believe TM1 9.5.2 is required for Excel 2010.
bcrounse
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007

Post by bcrounse »

I just ran into this same issue with Excel 2007 and TM1 9.5.2. The root cause was 1-3 .EXD files, some of which were not in the TEMP directory (I just moved them all elsewhere without trying to figure out which one was at fault).

So, Alan, thank you, nearly 2 years later!
kevoni
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by kevoni »

I had the same problem with Excel 2010 on a Windows XP machine with Perspectives 9.5.2. Due to an update of Excel, I got the same error as mentioned here. For me, this issue was solved by deleting the file C:\Documents and Settings\<profilename>\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\MSComctlLib.exd.
Thanks for the tip to check for/delete exd files!
tcasey
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: Excel 2003 + 2007

Post by tcasey »

Thanks Allan for solving that problem for me.

Just came in Sunday evening to do some work on one of our TM1 severs, and got that same error.

Now I did not change anything (like install or reinstall Excel or Perspectives). It was working when I left Friday, and today I get that same error message as in the subject line.

The only thing different was that I had a windows message that my computer was restarted after a critical update was done.

I searched and found these 2 exd files on my system:

C:\Documents and Settings\tom.casey\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\MSComctlLib.exd
C:\Documents and Settings\tom.casey\Local Settings\Temp\VBE\MSForms.exd

Deleting MSComctlLib.exd solved the problem on Windows XP.

Thanks again for not making my trip to the office a waste of time.

Regards,

...tom
I
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Excel 2003 + 2007
TM1 9.5 64 bit
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

I also had the MSComctlLib.exd file causing havoc on one of my machines after a scheduled WindowsUpdate ran last night.

I imagine IBM may be getting a few worried phone calls about this one.
Declan Rodger
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

kevoni wrote:I had the same problem with Excel 2010 on a Windows XP machine with Perspectives 9.5.2. .... For me, this issue was solved by deleting the file C:\Documents and Settings\<profilename>\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\MSComctlLib.exd.
Happened to me last week on a Win 7, Excel 2007, TM1 9.5.2 configuration. Plus I think a couple of other pc's are affected ( Win XP+ Excel XP + TM1 9.5.2).
Deleting C:\Documents and Settings\<profilename>\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\MSComctlLib.exd sorted it.

Thansk Alan
jesetera
Version: TM1 9.5.2
Excel Version: Excel 2003

Post by jesetera »

Hello I have the same issue I found file MSForms.exd in Temp folder and I deleted it but when I want to start TM1 file is always appearing again and also the error message: could not load object because is not available on this machine
Can you please help me?
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

What happens after you execute the steps outlined by the IBM Technote 1608271 ?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21608271
Unable to launch TM1 Perspectives: Microsoft Visual Basic Automation Error Unspecified Error