Error 1067 - TM1 9.4/9.5

Solanna
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 to 10.2
Excel Version: 2007 - 2013

Error 1067 - TM1 9.4/9.5

Post by Solanna »

Here's some information that may add value to some folks who have tried to install a TM1 Server manually as a service and get error 1067 when trying to start the server

While the TM1 operations manual attempts to describe the command line using the TM1sd.exe command it unfortunately left out a key part of the command line

The example in the manual:

TM1sd.exe -install -n sdata -z C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Custom\TM1data\sdata

The correct command line should read:

TM1sd.exe -install -n sdata -z "C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Custom\TM1data\sdata"

Those damn little double quotes will make a huge difference!
Who knew! I guess after installing 100's of TM1 servers as application servers, I should have known better and ignored the manual :x

If you leave off the double quotes, the command line will still return an install successful giving you the assumption that all is well
Unfortunately, this isn't the case but I certainly do not expect this to get fixed in any release any time soon

So for any of you that have been banging your head against the wall trying to install a server manually, this will hopefully provide some relief
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Error 1067 - TM1 9.4/9.5

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

i like it short and without any whitespaces.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Erlmoser wrote:i like it short and without any whitespaces.
I always thought that it was brain dead of MS to include white spaces in some standard paths (like "Program Files") anyway, but clearly the "user friendliness" brigade won out over the "how could this screw up an app" contingent.

However my recommendation would be that we get well and truly out of the habit of putting the data files in the "C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Custom\" path anyway. As I observed with Vista, the New Generation of O/S's from MS Do Not Like data and program files coexisting in the one location. You can bet that this will be the same with Server 2008 when it becomes a supported platform as well. That means that wherever the data files go, it needs to be somewhere other than a folder on the Program Files path.

And I agree with you, it should be a path which no whitespaces, and no punctuation either. Just good, old, unscrew-up-able alphanumerics.

I did report this as an issue to Cognos and told them that they need to modify their install script to start sticking the data files elsewhere on install in anticipation of this becoming an issue in the post-Server 2003 /Windows XP world, and this was the reply that I got:
The default directory is set by using the system variable %ProgramFiles%. I suspect that on Vista it returns something like C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ wher on other windows OS it is C:\Program Files. We probably just need to update how we pass the directory for Vista or use another variable to capture the correct directory path
:roll: {Count to 10, breathe, breathe, patience, understanding, compassion, all that... stuff.}

Nooo... the %ProgramFiles% environment variable still returns the standard program files path in Vista. The problem, as I explained in the request, is that you cannot store data files in there in a Vista / Windows 7 / Server 2008 environment without causing yourself lots and lots of trouble.

Eeeh, they'll figure it out eventually...
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

haha, i like answers for never asked questions ;)