McAfee Is Not My Favourite AV Software

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

McAfee Is Not My Favourite AV Software

Post by Alan Kirk »

And if you were to search this forum you will probably come across many references to me saying that. However my estimation of the firm's founder (regardless of his current legal issues) went up somewhat after watching this. Caution: Content may not be safe for work.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: McAfee Is Not My Favourite AV Software

Post by jim wood »

Personally I don't like Kaspersky. I've used McAfee for a long time then I tried out Kaspersky. Within 2 weeks my wow account got hacked, so I went straight back McAfee. It might be a pain in the arse but at least it works.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:Personally I don't like Kaspersky. I've used McAfee for a long time then I tried out Kaspersky. Within 2 weeks my wow account got hacked, so I went straight back McAfee. It might be a pain in the arse but at least it works.
For certain values of "works". Leaving aside the "Alien on your face" difficulty of removing the thing once it's on there I never got over this one:
Alan Kirk wrote:I know that when we were using McAfee at the office (since changed to Norton) VBA code ran noticeably slower than on my notebook (and it wasn't the difference in specs that would account for it); from the process monitor it appeared that McAfee seemed to be shoving its nose into almost every loop the code was executing. The difference was about 14,000 bytes per second on one of my personal computers, about 8,000 bytes per second on a McAfee "infected" machine.
Granted that was quite a few years and therefore versions ago now and may no longer be the case but I'm less than inclined to take the risk with it, especially as McAfee has done its corporate reputation no good at all with its underhanded little deal with Adobe to try to try to sneak it onto PCs as part of Flash Player upgrades. There's a cornucopia of threads about that one on the Adobe forums, each one containing a simmering if palpable rage about that. Naturally it's done Adobe's own reputation no favours either, though Adobe is doing a fair job of trashing that itself these days with blatant price gouging, at least in some markets, not to mention changes to its upgrade policies that some, myself included, consider to be extortionate.

I currently use Norton not because I have any great regard for it (and far less so for Symantec), but simply because it has not given me any great problems so far and appears to work well enough. (Though I'll never get that bloated waste of space Norton 360 again; once was enough for that.) Mind you, how much of the protection is down to Norton and how much due to the fact that I don't visit dodgy web sites or install potentially risky software (notices Performance Muddler raising its hand in the corner... I said risky, not revolting) is another matter.

Incidentally with regard to the original link, and I should have mentioned this earlier, if you like some of my more {cough} theatrical posts here then the humour in the video will probably appeal to you. If you don't, it most likely won't.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I got rid of Norton as I found it to heavy. As for McAfee, the fact that it keeps my wow account away from hackers has kept me loyal. I've not really had any compatibility issues with it either. (Ports etc)
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Mohit Gurnani
OLAP Product: Oracle
Version: 11g
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Mohit Gurnani »

I use Avast AV Software from the last 2 years and yet i doesn't face any problem in my PC. Its working in its wow condition and i also suggest you all to try it at least once.
Thank you. :)
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I'm using AV on my Mac. It seems to be working well.
Shop at Amazon
Mohit Gurnani
OLAP Product: Oracle
Version: 11g
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Mohit Gurnani »

jim wood wrote:I'm using AV on my Mac. It seems to be working well.
hmm, good!