OLAP clients

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
asterix
Version: 100
Excel Version: 2007

OLAP clients

Post by asterix »

I'm in the early stages of research for extending a client's OLAP implementation. I'm fairly new to the field and I was wondering if there exists an OLAP client that has some sort of UI to facilitate the creation of dynamically calculated members without having to write MDX. Obviously, nothing out there can cover all the range of possibilities. Any ideas?
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: OLAP clients

Post by Alan Kirk »

asterix wrote:I'm in the early stages of research for extending a client's OLAP implementation. I'm fairly new to the field and I was wondering if there exists an OLAP client that has some sort of UI to facilitate the creation of dynamically calculated members without having to write MDX. Obviously, nothing out there can cover all the range of possibilities. Any ideas?
I'm not sure exactly what it is that you're trying to do, but TM1 is one choice. It's capable of generating dynamic subsets via the GUI. Technically this IS done through MDX, but the code is generated in the background. It's not as flexible as "hand crafted" MDX code obviously, but it is capable of doing this.

Rather than just being told about it, it may be an idea to see it for yourself in action; contact IBM / Cognos and arrange them to send out a consultant. (Ask for one who's capable of doing a demo, not just writing a sales contract.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

I was wondering if there exists an OLAP client that has some sort of UI to facilitate the creation of dynamically calculated members without having to write MDX
You should look at PALO's subset functionality - It allows you to set up spreadsheets where you have parameters (N fo for Top N, X for > or < X etc) that define the subset returned dynamically. (And it's free!)

It's not for the faint-hearted as it takes a bit of thought, but it's very powerful.
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
asterix
Version: 100
Excel Version: 2007

Post by asterix »

Thank you guys. Alan, you understood what I tried to get across perfectly. Are there other products that have similar functionality to TM1 in this regard? Or is TM1 the best bet?

John, I'll take another look at PALO.
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Marcus Scherer »

asterix,

you may take a look at Delta Master (www.bissantz.com) that has a very user friendly GUI for creating calculated members. And you can connect to various OLAP and relational databases.

Late reply but it may be interesting for you.

M.