Out of Office Replies

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Out of Office Replies

Post by Martin Ryan »

Just a small request for when you take your well deserved holidays. I get all of the OLAPForums mail forwarded onto my personal email address to monitor it. 90% of that is out of office replies!

When you set up your out of office rules, can you please ignore emails from olapforums at gmail dot com

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Out of Office Replies

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:Just a small request for when you take your well deserved holidays. I get all of the OLAPForums mail forwarded onto my personal email address to monitor it. 90% of that is out of office replies!

When you set up your out of office rules, can you please ignore emails from olapforums at gmail dot com
I'm betting one of those was from me last week. (I have to cram in 5 days of work into the 3 that I'm here because although the budget and end of year stuff has absolute priority... so does reducing my leave balance. Or so I'm told. Of course, I have about 6 days worth of stuff that I have to do AWAY from work in the 4 days of the week that I'm not here, which is why I also haven't had time to write much for the OLAPedia lately. (Or post here very often.) So if I had weeks which consisted of 11 or 12 days each, I'd be laughing. 13 or 14 day weeks would be even better since then I'd have time for some sleep as well. But I digress.)

Anyway, unfortunately I don't think that Outlook /Exchange users can comply. I tried something which I hoped would work... but tests showed that it didn't. I've since done a search on Usenet postings and found that there is in fact no (practical) way to do this. And it's not for want of lots and lots of people asking for it.

Further reading through Outlook documentation and manuals showed why; this is in fact an Exchange Server function rather than an Outlook one. It's only triggered from Outlook. In one way that's good in that it will still work even if you don't have Outlook (or your PC) running while you're away. In another way, it's not because it means that the Outlook user has far less control over the operation; Exchange is told to either send a message, or not.

Apparently the original intention of the Out Of Office assistant was to notify internal recipients only; the Exchange administrator can in fact switch it off for any e-mail coming in from outside the user's own domain. However considering that customers, suppliers and some other people have a need to know when someone is away, my bet is that there are very few Exchange servers where that is done.

Given the fact that you can pass the out of office message that you want sent to the Exchange Server, it might be thought that it would be a fairly trivial task for MS to reprogram it so that you can ALSO pass either a list of addresses or, better still, a mailing list of people that you want excluded (or included? why not?) for the Out Of Office notice.

But hey, I can understand why you can't pass a mailing list. Have you ever TRIED creating mailing lists in Outlook using VBA? If you have, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't, find someone who has, note the holes that they've kicked in the nearest wall and the fist marks on their monitors, and you'll know what I mean.

Put another way, it's yet another example of utterly boneheaded programming on the part of Microsoft. The Outlook / Exchange team manages to excel in this field. (See also "creating mailing lists in VBA" above, as well as the fact that you can no longer automate sending an e-mail without user intervention without resorting to a hack.) About the only thing they did right with this feature is making sure that it sends to any given recipient only once.

And this is also why you can't really replace the Out of Office assistant with Rules. (No, not TM1 Rules, Outlook rules which are much flakier than TM1 rules with or without conditional feeders.) Short of doing some serious VBA ju-ju, you couldn't ensure that an Outlook rule would send the Out of Office notice to an individual only once.

And the consequences of neglecting to prevent a rule from sending an out of office message when it receives a "delivery failed" notice don't bear thinking about. ("Endless loop" is a clue.)

Not that it matters anyway, because using a rule would only work if your Outlook application and PC were running.

"Out of Office"... could have been great, but ended up being just another ill thought out MS screw-up.

But unfortunately it's a screw-up which is a necessary evil.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1

Post by Martin Ryan »

Fair 'nuf. Will write a rule in my Gmail.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

"It won't let you" may have done, but was a good read!

Conversely, even if you could do it with VBA our IT locks Outlook to the point all code is banned, so i couldn't do it that way either. Shame, as i wanted to have 2 buttons to send email - one send and save (and prompt for save location) and the other just send. Code works fine, but I'm not allowed to run it. All because MS forgot to add that one to Outlook too... :roll:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

as well as the fact that you can no longer automate sending an e-mail without user intervention without resorting to a hack
I use a small app called clickyes to send emails auto-magic-ly.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/clickyes.html
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Alan Kirk wrote:
Martin Ryan wrote:Just a small request for when you take your well deserved holidays. I get all of the OLAPForums mail forwarded onto my personal email address to monitor it. 90% of that is out of office replies!

I'm betting one of those was from me last week. (I have to cram in 5 days of work into the 3 that I'm here because although the budget and end of year stuff has absolute priority... so does reducing my leave balance. Or so I'm told. Of course, I have about 6 days worth of stuff that I have to do AWAY from work in the 4 days of the week that I'm not here, which is why I also haven't had time to write much for the OLAPedia lately. (Or post here very often.) So if I had weeks which consisted of 11 or 12 days each, I'd be laughing. 13 or 14 day weeks would be even better since then I'd have time for some sleep as well. But I digress.)

Anyway, unfortunately I don't think that Outlook /Exchange users can comply. I tried something which I hoped would work... but tests showed that it didn't. I've since done a search on Usenet postings and found that there is in fact no (practical) way to do this. And it's not for want of lots and lots of people asking for it.

Further reading through Outlook documentation and manuals showed why; this is in fact an Exchange Server function rather than an Outlook one. It's only triggered from Outlook. In one way that's good in that it will still work even if you don't have Outlook (or your PC) running while you're away. In another way, it's not because it means that the Outlook user has far less control over the operation; Exchange is told to either send a message, or not.

Apparently the original intention of the Out Of Office assistant was to notify internal recipients only; the Exchange administrator can in fact switch it off for any e-mail coming in from outside the user's own domain. However considering that customers, suppliers and some other people have a need to know when someone is away, my bet is that there are very few Exchange servers where that is done.

Given the fact that you can pass the out of office message that you want sent to the Exchange Server, it might be thought that it would be a fairly trivial task for MS to reprogram it so that you can ALSO pass either a list of addresses or, better still, a mailing list of people that you want excluded (or included? why not?) for the Out Of Office notice.

But hey, I can understand why you can't pass a mailing list. Have you ever TRIED creating mailing lists in Outlook using VBA? If you have, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't, find someone who has, note the holes that they've kicked in the nearest wall and the fist marks on their monitors, and you'll know what I mean.

Put another way, it's yet another example of utterly boneheaded programming on the part of Microsoft. The Outlook / Exchange team manages to excel in this field. (See also "creating mailing lists in VBA" above, as well as the fact that you can no longer automate sending an e-mail without user intervention without resorting to a hack.) About the only thing they did right with this feature is making sure that it sends to any given recipient only once.

And this is also why you can't really replace the Out of Office assistant with Rules. (No, not TM1 Rules, Outlook rules which are much flakier than TM1 rules with or without conditional feeders.) Short of doing some serious VBA ju-ju, you couldn't ensure that an Outlook rule would send the Out of Office notice to an individual only once.

And the consequences of neglecting to prevent a rule from sending an out of office message when it receives a "delivery failed" notice don't bear thinking about. ("Endless loop" is a clue.)

Not that it matters anyway, because using a rule would only work if your Outlook application and PC were running.

"Out of Office"... could have been great, but ended up being just another ill thought out MS screw-up.

But unfortunately it's a screw-up which is a necessary evil.
Alan's back!!!!!!
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube