DimensionElementInsertDirect

ovo4fev
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2007

DimensionElementInsertDirect

Post by ovo4fev »

This new function can be used in the data tab. Does anyone know if there are any issues around lock contention. I know traditionally it has been a good idea to separate metadata and data updates, since with PI data updates would not cause contention.

If I include metadata updates on the data tab (along with data) using this function, could I get any problems or is this now solved since the update is directly committed to the dimension.

Thanks!
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Re: DimensionElementInsertDirect

Post by qml »

From my testing I conclude that DimensionElementInsertDirect puts a lock on the affected dimension until the entire process finishes. Because of that I think this function is not nearly as neat as it could be. Basically, it only removes the need to run the Metadata procedure, potentially speeding the process up in some cases, but it does not get rid of the lock contention problem.
Last edited by qml on Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamil Arendt
ovo4fev

Post by ovo4fev »

Thank you Kamil.
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

What about a set of processes chained together? Would it release the metadata lock for instance if you were to have a wrapper process that kicked off a dimension update process then a data update process?
ovo4fev

Post by ovo4fev »

PlanningDev wrote:What about a set of processes chained together? Would it release the metadata lock for instance if you were to have a wrapper process that kicked off a dimension update process then a data update process?
Yes, in 10.1 there is an option on chores for Multi-Commit. I think this will now release locks between processes.
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

I was wondering if it created similar functionality to multi commit without using a chore. Actually hoping it did but I figured it didn't. The bad thing about chores is you can't execute them from a process which means they aren't very good if you are using tm1runti.exe