ISB control Icon disappears

ClaudiaW
Version: 9.0 SP3
Excel Version: 2003

ISB control Icon disappears

Post by ClaudiaW »

Hi friends of TM1,
hope to find some help here, cause I tried Cognos helpline before still unsuccessfull. Yes, I updated my client and yes, I updated my server and yes, I use the latest SP for Excel and now I didn't manage to open my account at IBM support, where I don't expect more help for TM1 then at Cognos. So may be I'll find experts here.
My problem ist, we are using the same Excel reports with TM1 In-Spreadsheet Browser with different user on different PCs. When I build a ISB worksheet everything is fine. When my collegue opens this worksheet and saves it and I reopen it, the ISB control Icon is gone! When my collegue opens it, he still can work fine, but I can't:
On my Computer, the Icon is invisible, but I can't click in the cell, where it has been, it's protected. I can move the cursor with the arrow keys and then there still is the name of the view in this cell and the belonging dimensions in the cells below. When I try to insert the ISB in this cell, it says 'can't insert ISB, the cell is not empty', but I can't click on it.
If only I work with a workbook, everything keeps fine, but we are used to share work, that's why we have the network and I don't like to do all the work alone in future.
We all use TM1 9.0 client with Excel 2003 SP3 and only my version could be higher, because I have admin rights to my system and do some testing of updates sometimes. But this mustn't be a reason to read a lower version. I could understand it if my collegues couldn't read my worksheets.
I'm not used in VBA programming, but use TM1 quite a long time, so if you have any suggestion where I might find out what's happening, please help!
Sorry, for writing this little essay, but sometimes you have to give some detailed information for special problems. :)
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: ISB control Icon disappears

Post by Steve Vincent »

Hi Claudia, it sounds to me like it might be an active-x issue. I'm on the same versions of Excel and TM1 and we did have issues where not all the .ocx files were registered on the PC. I think some of them relate to ISBs so it's quite possible that some of those are missing or blocked which could explain the problems you are finding.

If possible, get a PC without TM1 and get it installed by full admin user account (windows admin, not TM1) and then with the same account try using the ISB. If that works, then try a normal users windows account and see if it still works. If it doesn't, it would point to some sort of security issue with the normal accounts that people log in with and the ocx files.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
ClaudiaW
Version: 9.0 SP3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by ClaudiaW »

Hi Steve, Thanks al lot!
I did the test the other way round, because of missing admin rights on other machines: I unregistered the .ocx controls from my PC and opened the worksheet. Then the ISB Control Icons were still there! This helps a lot. If I need to register again, it's no problem.
Have a nice day ;) ;)
paulsimon
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Claudia

By the way the files that you need to register for the ISB are as follows:

Under Program Files\Applix\bin locate the following files:

Tm1dasrv.dll

Tm1prc.dll

Tm1xl.ocx

Drag these on to

Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe

This will registered these DLLs

Now the bad news. Cognos are dropping support for the ISB after version 9.4, so I would not base too many reports on it, if I were you.

Regards

Paul Simon