TM1 Consultants & Developers shortage?

Ian Blanthorn
OLAP Product: TM1 COGNOS
Version: TM1 Recruiter
Excel Version: TM1 Recruiter

TM1 Consultants & Developers shortage?

Post by Ian Blanthorn »

I am a TM1 Recruiter from Sydney and we are finding a shortage in experienced Consultants and Developers...is this global?
belair22
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express
Version: 9.5 9.4 9.1 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2007 2003

Re: TM1 Consultants & Developers shortage?

Post by belair22 »

Not sure its a global issue (in the US possibly not), however year-end is slowly approaching for most Australian companies.
TM1 Consultants with budgeting & forecasting skills are generally quite busy during this time as new TM1 models are being developed and/or amendments to existing TM1 Budgeting processes (server upgrades, rule/feeder tweaks) are underway or being scheduled as we speak. Firms that utilise TM1 for year-end reporting are also big consumers of TM1 consultants/developers during this time of the year. Might go some way to explaining the shortage you are experiencing.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Ian Blanthorn wrote:I am a TM1 Recruiter from Sydney and we are finding a shortage in experienced Consultants and Developers...is this global?
belair22 wrote:Not sure its a global issue (in the US possibly not), however year-end is slowly approaching for most Australian companies.
TM1 Consultants with budgeting & forecasting skills are generally quite busy during this time as new TM1 models are being developed and/or amendments to existing TM1 Budgeting processes (server upgrades, rule/feeder tweaks) are underway or being scheduled as we speak. Firms that utilise TM1 for year-end reporting are also big consumers of TM1 consultants/developers during this time of the year. Might go some way to explaining the shortage you are experiencing.
That and the fact that in this environment, I suspect that anyone who HAS a gig will hold onto it until grim death. 18 months ago people probably thought nothing of moving to another job, because if that one didn't work out then there would be another around the corner. NOW if something new doesn't work out you may end up wondering what the employment prospects are like for post hole diggers, your own shortages notwithstanding. Also TM1 skills are a relative niche; companies can't dump their TM1 developers easily without dumping TM1, which they've usually invested too much time and money into to do. In short, it's probably less a shortage, and more that there's less mobility in the market with many people not wanting to rock the boat and risk falling into the GFC Ocean. And certainly I wouldn't want to be a consultant in this market, what with capex for new systems in many companies being as frozen as a polar bear's, er, toes.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

I have also been told that the TM1 market is expanding at faster rate in Oz than any where else. You always get a skills to demand short fall in that type of environment. I remember something similar happening when Cisco first expanded. Any one with early Cisco certification was very popular.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
belair22
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express
Version: 9.5 9.4 9.1 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2007 2003

Post by belair22 »

Can we throw in TM1 is now an IBM/Cognos product.... obviously the IBM/Cognos marketing and distribution channels are beginning to play a part.